How do i get my baby to sleep at night and stay awake during the day

My son will be 2 weeks old tomorrow(friday) and he stays awake all night and sleeps most of the day! ? i dont know how to get it to change. I am up most of the day and night i think i get more than 3 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period. I am thoroughly exhausted, and i cant sleep all day when he does b/c of my 4yr old son. I dont know what to do, someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!

sianniona

Asked by sianniona at 5:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It will take some time. Babies at that age still need to wake up to feed throughout the night. Is there anybody to help you out so you can nap?
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Why do you have to stay awake when he is awake?

I always laid mine down and let them lay there awake unless they were crying. 99% of the time they just went to sleep.

Also make sure that the days are filled with bright lights and noises and the night is quiet with very little light. They figure out what is best for being awake pretty quickly.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Hmmmm.... Well, i remember going through that, but I think she just started sleeping a bit more solid on her own around 7 wks old (she'd stay down for 4 hours at a time) . I can't say i was doing anything different except maybe trying to rouse her more during the day... At around 6 months we started co-sleeping and that helped us both get more sleep, but even I wasn't really comfortable doing it when she was too little.... Can you all take a family naptime (including the 4 yr old) at some point during the day so at least you get some rest?
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• are u insane! sleep while my kids r awake!!!!!!!!!! thats just STUPID!
    sianniona

Comment by sianniona (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• This worked for both of mine - if he doesn't wake on his own, wake him every 3 hours or so during the day. Feed him, change him, and let him go back to sleep if he wants. Babies that are overtired don't sleep well at night. At night, let him sleep as long as he wants. This advice is assuming he is healthy and will wake at night on his own when he needs to eat. This helps them wake during the day and sleep at night. It may take a few weeks, but my oldest was only waking once per night by 6 weeks and my youngest was only waking once per night by 4 weeks.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• yes, it will take time. if possible try keeping him awake during the day. I know that's not the easiest thing with another kid there. it's pretty much the only way I could get my DD from sleeping all day long and staying awake at night. do the best you can. I promise it gets easier over the next few weeks or months depending on how successful you are at being able to keep him awake during the day. GL
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 5:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• work with nature not against it . when its time to sleep keep it dark and quiet a soft radio or a soft t.v. keep it as dark as you can i mean you cnat block out all light but make it as dark as you can draw the shades dim the lights. when you want the baby awake put the TV on normal volume vacuum run the washing machine anything noisy and make it BRIGHT flood the area with sunlight and house lights. it will take a few days but you can set his little clock right again .
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 5:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I did the same thing andrea did - I woke mine at least every 3 hours during the day to eat, expose them to sunlight, take them out places to stimulate them to stay awake. At night, I let them sleep as long as they would. It didn't take long for them to start sleeping their longer stretches at night and they were all 5 sleeping at least 8 hours by 2 months.

Answer by missanc at 5:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I tried stimulating him yesterday, took him to the park with his brother for a play date with another little one and he slept for 4 and then 3 hours last night!
    sianniona

Comment by sianniona (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• LOL! It's a newborn, not a toddler. He isn't going to go anywhere or get into anything. It's not your job to entertain him all night. Why is it stupid to just lay him down awake in his crib or bassinet (I assume he's sleeping close to you) and lay down. Chances are, he'll fall asleep pretty quickly as long as it's dark and quiet (white noise is good too). I always changed, fed, sang to, swaddled mine and rocked them for a few minutes as cuddle time and our night time routine, and then laid them down awake. They fell asleep very quickly (within 5 minutes).

With my youngest, we're co sleeping, and I lay her down with me while she's still awake and she falls asleep within 2 or 3 minutes when he's dark and there's just the white noise from the fan.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2011