When should a child be switched to a booster seat?

The law for where I live is 4 and 40lbs and head cannot be above the headrest. When did you switch your little one?

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• my 7 year old is tall for her age but i didnt switch her from a 5 pt harness to a booster til about 6 months ago and she will stay in a booster for another 2 years, the safer she is the better! it is best for the childs safety (not convenience or to make the child 'happy') to keep them in a 5 pt as long as possible and to keep them in a booster as long as possible, dont upgrade a child just based on their age, height and weight, wait til their organs, bones and spine are strong enough.
    RobinEsMommy

Answer by RobinEsMommy at 6:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My 7 year old is 48" and 49 pounds and still in a 5pt harness.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My daughter went in at 3, my son at about 2 1/4. They are extremely tall and grew out of our toddler harness seats very early.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• When they outgrow the harness. Of course, I have a 4 year old that's still RFing.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• DS is 6 (almost 7), 49 1/4in and 80 lbs. He is in a high-back, belt-positioning booster, and that is good until 100 lbs. He will be in that until then, and then we will see what he needs next. He was rear-facing until he was a little over 2yrs old and 40 lbs. Then he was in a front-facing 5-point harness until he was maybe 5 yrs old and 50lbs, I believe...it was until he was too big for it, whatever it was.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It's supposed to be 4 and 40 LBS and then they have to be in a booster till 80 LBS
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• DS is 4 and sometimes is in a high-back booster, though I'd rather keep in in a 5-pt for a while. DD is 6 and is just in a regular booster.
    Anonymous

• 4 and 40lbs but it's always best to keep them in a 5-point harness as long as they are within the manufacturer's limits.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 10:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• well my son was 18months when he went to a bosster with the regular seat belt and hes 3 now and will be in it for about another yr or so then the back will come off and by the time his 6-7 he wont be in a carseat at all but i believe it is up to the parent and the child has far as hight/weight it shouldnt be by age
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 5:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• my son is almost 4 and has been in the booster seat since he turned 3. he is also a very big boy. he was 9 lbs at birth and now at almost 4 he is 40" tall and weighs about 47 lbs
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 6:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2011