Are exersaucers useful & how long will kids use them ?

Hi

I have a 7 1/2 month old. I am looking for some gear where I can put him down for a sometime till I finish my chores. I first thought of the playpen, but there's not much in a playpen & he might get bored soon. Then I looked at the exersaucers, they seem to be entertaining. I saw one which had a 360degree swivel, so the child can go around the thing & play with the toys.

I thought that might be a good one as he'll feel like he's moving around & will be entertained for a while. My question is, are exersaucers useful for the purpose, which is a good one to buy & how long do kids really use them. I do not wish to spend a lot of money.

Thanks

jaune

Asked by jaune at 12:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is probably the coolest one I have seen that is a reasonable price. I like this one because it converts and they can use it until the are toddlers. We are getting this one for our baby. Here is the link:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5412495
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I absolutely LOVED my exersaucer!! It was a life saver to me some times. They are well worth their money, and my boys loved them. I had a Graco one, and it turned all the way around as well. It also had legs that you could put down that would stabilize it if you didn't want it to move. I would put my boys in it, and be able to do some cleaning, or even grab a shower. My boys were over 1 when they quit using them, and that's just because their legs got to chunky. LOL! I would say over all though, they are worth their money, and I think your baby would love it, and you would too.
    Anonymous

• Oh yes....the exersaucers are wonderful. They can play in them till about a year or a little bit after. I love mine!!!....I mean they love it...lol
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I have one. But my dd does not like it she will sit in it for about... 5min and thats it. So I would suggest buying one fron cragslist or a second hand store. sense you don't know if he will like it or not.
    Anonymous

• We had a Jumperoo (sort of like an exersaucer but it bounces up and down). It was useful for use from about 4 months to 9 months. Once she was cruising really well and crawling everywhere, she didn't want to be in it anymore since it confined her.

Every child is different. Some kids are happy in them for a long time, some hate them from the start. Some are fine once they are mobile, some (like mine) get upset within moments since they can't walk away.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• A playpen or play corral (look at the SuperGate system) will probably be more useful longer since you can plunk him and some toys in it and you can change the toys as he gets older. We used our SuperGate corral until about 15 months when she started trying to climb over it.

No matter what you get, if you are out of site for more than a minute, he will scream for you. The Exersaucer can be moved from room to room, the corral can "grow" with him since he can crawl & cruise in it. If you want both, try a used baby store. Since babies over 14 months or so rarely want to be in an exersaucer, parents sell pretty much brand new ones to places like Children's Orchard.
    kaycee14

• I like mine a lot but, they do get bored with it eventually. One thing that I love right now is his Jump and Go. It's a bouncer that attaches to a doorway. It has been a life saver. He never gets bored with it!
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I loved them, and used them between 2-9 months old, which after that they were trying to move around so much that I got rid of them. It's a nice thing to place your child in one in your kitchen while getting a load of dishes done... they play w/o getting into things or getting hurt, and you get some cleaning done.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Rebecca7708 sent you a link to one sort of like what we have. I love it. My daughter used it from when she could sit up on her own until she was too tall for it. I wanted her to be able to walk in it but also just sit if she wanted, so once she was too tall she had to stand the whole time. That is when we moved to the jumperoo(Baby Einstein) and it she used longer, it has more adjustments for her height. I love both of these things and highly recommend you get one.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my son had a jump r roo and loved it till he got too big. We never tried an exersauser though. If you don't want to spend a bunch of money I'd try a resale shop. We have a Once Upon a Baby down the road and I buy half of my son's toys there. There are a lot of sales going on too. Just watch your sale ads.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2008