S/O-''Quiverfull''..if you homeschool, are you christian?

according to the interview in the S/O, those involved in the Quiverfull movement most usually homeschool..as a way of guarding what their children are taught, and teaching them the 'ways' of the movement (as opposed to having them learn something else, i assume. idk.).
i see a lot of homeschoolers on CM..was just curious what your religious affiliation was, if any.

(and i know this isn't a debate, but i didn't want to bounce it into a different section, from whence it originated. although, i might get more bites from homeschoolers in a different section..hmm.)

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 6:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Not Christian and we homeschoool...for now.

Our decision was based on sucky school districts not religious beliefs.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• This ought to be interesting.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We are atheist and homeschool because after teaching in the public school system, I wanted my children to be rewarded when they DESERVE to be rewarded rather than every time they do a mediocre job at something. I want them to have behavior standards. I want them to know something when they graduate, and that just isn't fostered in our local districts (as it turns out!). It has nothing to do with religion for us.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• The families I personally know who homeschool are Christian, and are more Orthodox or evangelical in their views. I don't think it's coincidence. I think those families who take a more literal view of the Bible want to protect that viewpoint by ensuring that it's taught at home. That's not to say that everyone who homeschools feels that way. Naturally, I don't know everyone who homeschools. I'm just speaking of those I do know.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I am atheist, my husband is pantheistic, and we home-school our boys.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Out of about 75 families in our home-school group, only a small handful are religious. The home-school movement in general is dominated by religion, but it is slowly, but surely moving in a more secular direction.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• no, there are homeschoolers from all walks of life. certain contingents like to perpetuate that lie, thought. (HSLDA)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I know a lady that believes in whole "let God chose how many children" thing but, she is short of the Quiverfull Movement. She only has 8 children and she is in her 40s. Her older two started out in public school but, the administrators were trying to push her into medicating her child with ADD. Since then she has homeschooled all of her children but, she is not against public school.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We home school; we're Christian ... I'm not opposed to the Quiverfull movement - but we aren't actively trying to "fill our quiver" either.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My ds is only two and a half. So we really havn't been thinking a lot about if we are going to homeschool him or not. And I am an eclectic Wiccan-Witch
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 6:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2011