Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Please help!

I am worried to no end right now. I just found out that my SO and I are going to be $300 dollars short on just rent (due on the 1st) and we have no way to borrow the money from family/friends. He just told me this today, (thanks a lot right?) I've never been in this situation before, so what can we do? Who can we call to get help? We live in the state of Kentucky. TIA!


Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • A lot of places have church groups that help out with things like that-even if you are not a member of the church they help out. Maybe you could check with a local church, or even with social services or the police department. The police department here is the one that puts people in touch with our local church group. If that is not possible, then talk to your landlord and see if they will work with you. Some of them are willing to.

    Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • Could you explain the situation to your landlord? And make some type of payment arrangement w/him?

    Answer by cheekycherub at 6:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • Call your landlord, explain the situation, and ask for an extension. A lot of times, privates landlords will be okay with waiting a week or two, once in a blue moon, for the extra 300. If you are in a complex, just inquire what the late fee will be, and work with them so they can know when to expect full payment.


    Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • I dont know how it is in KY but it has happened to me quite a few times here in Jersey City. I found that just talking to your owner and explaining to him the you will be short this month works..but you will have to pay the balance along with nex months rent which can be a bit challenging. Maybe try and work out a payment plan with him/her. But definately be honest

    Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 6:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • Contact the Salvation Army....they may be able to help. That's what my landlord suggested to us when we were in the same situation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • Get a letter from the landlord and go to social services. They help with rent, utilities etc but its only every so often.

    Answer by gemgem at 6:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • The landlord is depending of that money too. So don't wait too long to tell him/her that you can only pay part of the rent this month. Write the check and send it ASAP. If you are a good tenant (meaning that you've been renting the place for a long time and good payee) then I don't think the landlord will give you any problems.

    Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011