Is there anyone here that hangs their laundry out to dry, that lives in the midwest or any other HUMID climate?

I'd love to save money by hanging my clothes out instead of running the dryer, but I'm afraid it would mildew in our humidity. Any thoughts?
Also, how do you keep bugs off your laundry? Knats and flies and stuff?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Pick a windy day. Bring the laundry in each day. Never leave it on the line overnight.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 6:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I live in TX an hour from the coast (talk about Humidity) that's us most of the time.
    I hang mine out and have no problem with mildew or bugs because it is not on the line long enough for all that..
    It save me money but I do not hang towels because they don't end up soft like out of dryer and I like my towels/ washcloths etc nice and fluffy and soft.
    Other things that have "lint issues" you may want to continue drying in the dryer.
    Good Luck and enjoy! There's nothing like fresh sheets off the line....they smell wonderful IMO.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It can get pretty humid where I live too and I have never had mildew on clothes hung outside. The sunshine is a great disinfectant and everything smells so fresh. I agree with the answer above though that towels and washcloths -and jeans- will not come out soft like when dried in the dryer but I still like them line dried whenever possible.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 7:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I used to use the line all the time when we lived out in the country (no line here). Do you laundry on a windy day and even in the humidity you won't have any problems.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I don't know that my clothes would ever dry here when it is so humid, but I would love to have a clothesline...
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Not sure about the mildew..... I use a dryer.
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• If it's humid enough to mildew, it probably wouldn't dry completely anyway. I can't imagine that kind of humidity, and I lived in Savannah.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• wait till its a warm windy day to hang them
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would hang 100% cotton items only out to dry on the line.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2011