boys in bunkbeds? too soon?

I have 2 boys one is 4 the other is just now one. When my little one was 11 months we put him in his own bed but i dont know if the baby is ready. They share a room and i want to try to save space. Should i do bunk beds or try something else?

lonelymommyof2

Asked by lonelymommyof2 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest has been on the top bunk since he turned 4, his bunk mate was 2 when we put him in there...but he had been in a regular bed since 15 months.

My concern was the boys and the ladder for most bunk beds...but we found a set with STAIRS at the end!! I'm still concerned about them falling down the stairs, sure...but better that than getting a leg caught in the ladder on the way down and snapping it in two!

However, these two are pretty good about following the rules. When my youngest is going in to play, he insists on climbing the stairs to the top bunk so we keep it blocked off during the day.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i would be afraid that the little one falls off the bed when asleep. our daughter is 17 1/2 months old and i wont take her out of her crib for a long time. she is moving around way too much in her sleep.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think I'd maybe wait another year for bunk beds. You can always get a railing for the one year old's bed but I'd be worried about the four year old on the top bunk right now. I know it's probably cramped but I'd maybe get a set of bunkbeds and just set them both up on the floor for a while until they are both comfortable sleeping in big kid beds and then a year from now I'd try stacking them.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think the rule is that the child has to be at least 6 years old to be in the top bunk. However, you can get the kind that has the bottom that is a full size and they can share until the older one gets to that age.
    LexiMom4

Answer by LexiMom4 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my daughter is nearly 4, and she is just fine on her loft bed. but it is lower to the ground, and i would still be wary of putting her on a top bunk. and for a 1 year old, unless the bottom bunk is really low to the ground, they will have a hard time getting in * out and could get hurt.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 6:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• i have a 10 yr old boy and a 4 yr old boy and we are afraid to get our 10 yr old a bunk bed because of how our 4 yr old likes to climb and jump off of everything.....
    so we decided once that phase of being 'Super Toddler' is over we will do the bunk bed thing....LOL
    poobear5

Answer by poobear5 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think it depends on the bed and the kids. It's pretty impossible to fall out of out top bunk and my son has been in it for a while now, he just turned 5 in October. My oldest was also in a bunk bed at 4. He shares a room with my 1 year old but he's really still co-sleeping so he's not in there all/every night.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2008