I need more information on Aspergers

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I worked once with a child who was not diagnosed until he was in second grade. I can only tell you some of his symptoms. Aspergers syndrome usually, from my experience, is hard to detect. The child I worked with was VERY smart. They usually have a higher than average intelligence from what I can recall. But this kid was obssessed with two or theree topics and found a way, inappropriately, to always insert that into every conversaion. He did not have the ability to understand how other people feel - truly. He wasn't a bad kid. He was just self focused. He had some trouble socializing with other kids, not because he didn't want to socialize, he just didn't understand things like having others take a turn. Because he didn't get what they were feeling. A family member became sick and he was happy (agian not a bad kid - just a kid living with aspergers) b/c he got a lot of gifts.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• cont...It was originally thought he was being opposital due to general behaivoral issues. That wasn't true. He wasn't deliberately trying to be disrespectful and often didn't understand why he was in trouble. He would blurt things out that were often inappropriate and better left unsaid - while possibably true he had difficulty with understanding social situations. There are many signs and symptoms. You can talk to the school psychologist of your local public school (they are required to screne by law for early intervention) and talk to your child's doctor. It is very difficult to diagnose and the kid I saw was misdiagnosed with other things by several professionals until I was the case manager. Then we got other professionals to evaluate this child to say yes or no with more accuracy. Good luck. And it is a difficult diagnosis.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Ask his pede for to test for it. or a referral to someone who can. We were referred by speech therapy to the austism clinic. We now have 10 hours of service a month/ as well as IFP for our 2 yr old daughter. In CA the school district pays for her education.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• www.medlineplus.com I hope this helps.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• i google everything

i don't trust any sites unless they are .org

one sight i love is kyles treehouse

rachael596

Answer by rachael596 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2008