Do you know the baby heimlich?

The adult version is pretty straightforward, but if you don't know the baby heimlich, please read this

http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/choking-rescue-procedure-heimlich-maneuver-baby-younger-than-1-year

If I didn't know it I might have lost my baby today. He has always been great at feeding himself, but he bit off too much watermelon. Thankfully, I was watching him very closely and I knew what to do when he couldn't breathe. Too many babies choke to death each year. Always cut up their food to small pieces (what I failed to do today, stupidly, out of a false sense of security), watch them carefully while they eat and MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO IF THEY CHOKE. It might not be food, it could be a marble big brother left on the floor or any number of other things.  Don't let your baby be a victim.

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• most local fire departments give training classes for free. all you have to do is ask. I was trained in cpr first response and heimlich
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 6:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• God bless you and your baby i am glad that everything turned out ok
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 6:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We just renewed our CPR and First Aid for Children, infants and adults. We cover the heimlech and I'm so glad that you knew it today! God bless you and your baby. Hugs!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Thank you so much for the link and the advise.
    Glad your baby is OK.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I do and I also know infant and child CPR, adult CPR and how to use an AED. I am first aid and CPR certified. It costs me about $30 every 2 years to stay certified and is well worth it. It is a skill that I am glad to know but am glad I have never had to use it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Yes I do. I also think infant and child CPR is an important thing for parents and care fivers to know.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2011