Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Long story short, we have a judgement against us in civil court. Daughter needed surgery. We couldn't afford to pay it in full, and we don't qualify for aid. My wages are being garnished to the point that I can no longer pay for child care and will have to quit my job. I can't afford a lawyer. They will not accept the amount I can pay them each month. Is there any way to get this amount reduced?


Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • Ahhh! I am so sorry. I hate bills.
    Your options:
    1) call each provider independently to see about reduction in principal
    2) put it on home equity or personal loan
    3) bankruptcy

    It is a bit messy because it is already in the court system. And, it all depends on how much is owed . . . . you can meet with a bankruptcy attorney for free to see if that is an option.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • Nope. Once a judgment has been entered and they are garnishing your wages there's not a whole lot that can be done unless they agree to the change. I'd call them and tell them that they can either reduce the amount they are taking from your checks or you will be forced to quit your job as you cannot afford childcare and they will get nothing. If they refuse to reduce it then it's their own fault when they stop getting paid.

    Answer by miss_lisa at 6:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • If it has proceeded to the judgment stage, you don't have very many options - they may not even be able to discharge that type of debt in bankruptcy.

    Answer by tasches at 7:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2011