I need some advice

My almost 16 month old son will brush his hair when we do, brush his teeth (not very well) when we do, rub his hand when we do, clap his hands when we do, wave hi and bye when we do, wipe his face, and dance when we dance. He loves to mimic us. Unfortunately, he wants to put on a tie like my husband does. He'll use whatever is available and wrap it around his neck. Any suggestions to get him to not do that? I understand that he just wants to learn how to do things and we're thrilled. We're just worried about some of the things he picks up from us as it can be dangerous to him. He doesn't understand us when we say no. He just laughs.

Ryansmom310

Asked by Ryansmom310 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well he is a bit young to understand that something is dangerous so you just have to make sure nothing is at his reach that he can use to put around his neck and monitor him all the time, its a phase he will grow out of, make sure when you do tell him if cant do it that you use a stern low voice so he starts to understand that he really can not do something, when that gets through it will be easier GL!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Show him that he could hurt himself let him put a tie on you and be dramatic that it is hurting you then explain the only mommy and daddy can do it till he gets older. then put the tie on your self and show him that you can do it nice and he cant
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 7:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• The minute something goes on the head or around the neck, I take it away and say, "Ties are only for Papa." Then, redirect. when something dangerous goes on the head, same thing, "We don't cover our heads or faces."

I have thought about just letting them play and supervisinf EXTREMELY close, but I have always regretted doing that.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• The easiest way to fix this is to not do things in front of your child that you do not want your child to mimic ie. Putting on a tie.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2011