How do you help your infant remember a deployed parent?

My husband gets deployed in a month. I'm worried that when he comes home his infant son won't know who he is from lack of contact. What are some things I can do to help my infant remember his Daddy?

LemonLimeyify

Asked by LemonLimeyify at 7:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.25idl.army.mil/deployment/ACS/childdep.pdf

Hi there! Your Q tugged at my heartstrings. I googled your question and pulled up a link specifically for this issue. I hope it helps.
    It's in PDF format , I hope you can read it....it seemed to cover quite a few different things and had a Support network for families with same issues.
    I hope it's a start to get you some answers.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Show him pictures every day, twice a day. And tell him its daddy. Eventually every time he will see the pic he will know ths daddy
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 7:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My husband was gone from my son being 6 months until 13 months and there wasn't much I could do for that age. I showed a lot of pictures but my son was so young, he was still a little hesitant about his dad for a little while. Now my husband left 2 months before our son's 2 year birthday and he's coming back very very soon and my son knows who his daddy is now. He sees pictures and will say "Dada" or when he gets to talk to him on the phone he says "hi Dada". Unfortunately, depending on the age, its tough because the younger they are, the harder, realistically, it will be.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• How old is he? All you can really do is show baby pictures, if you talk to your husband let the baby hear his voice, talk about Daddy, chances are as an infant they are still going to forget, but once he gets back and everythign settles in baby will remember his touch....Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I have never been threw that but can't be easy.....lots of pictures and maybe some home videos would be helpful.....and I hear that there was some web chats if that possible not sure though but might help also if possible
    momof3ohboy

Answer by momof3ohboy at 7:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Pictures and videos.
    If your DH can webcam, webcam WITH the baby.

But it's likely that DH will still be new to your baby when he gets home. My DD didn't really form a bond with my husband because she was 5 months when we moved back home before his deployment and he deployed when she was 8 months old for a year.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 7:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• there are also those book you can by where your husband can record himself reading it and you can play it for your child.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Skype, Pictures and playing a recording of their voice. The books that mommy2boys03 mentioned are wonderful.
    happymom353

Answer by happymom353 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2011