Has your husband quit drinking? What can I expect, is it hard to deal with??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• No, my husband has never been a drinker but I have known plenty. I think it depends on the person, how much they drank, and for how long. The more and longer they have been drinkers I think the harder it is to stop. Good luck to you both.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I would think that if he NEEDS to quit drinking, then it's probably for the best, AND in the long run a lot of your burden should be lifted!

He'll probably be bitchy, and may look for excuses to pick fights with you so he has a "reason" to self medicate. He should know what is triggers are, and to stay away from them, and hopefully he has been taught some ways to deal with stress that don't involve alcohol.

Just remember he is living his life one minute at a time. So if 10 minutes go by that he doesn't go for a drink, that's an accomplishment. An hour is a milestone, and a day without drinking is what we call "a good day".
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My husband is a recovedring alcoholic and has been sober 13 years. If he has a bad drinking problem and he believes hes an alcoholic its gonna have its days. You need to be supportive, dont nag at him if he slips, just encourage him to get back up and try again. He may need counseling depending on how bad it is. My husband was so bad that he was suicidal, it was real bad. Then he will go thru what they call a dry drunk. That comes after he has stopped for a 6 months plus. Its the anger, non understanding part of it and that was hard. Just be there, encourage, pray and help him. Im not going to tell you its gonna be easy because it wont be, There will be days he wants to drink and days you want to give up. But if you stick thru it together after about 6 weeks it gets better, then its just a road to recovery. good for him and best wishes
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Expect misery if he is not in a recovery program. Expect him to need time (LOTS of time--like every evening for the first 30 days) if he IS in a program.
    Expect that the best thing you can do is to attend some Alanon meetings so you can recognize BS when you see it or hear it.
    Expect him to take a short time to find a sponsor.
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2011