Being god mother....is it normal not to want to be it?

Now this happened 6 years ago...my former bff got prego, it was a bunch of controversy, either way I stayed by her side because she was my pal and the father was a douche...but my eelings started to sway once I got wind of some of the things that were being said...one day she said you are the god mother (in front of someone else) it was the first time I knew of anything like that. In my head I didn't want to be that because it felt more like a responsibility rather than honor. And at that time I was not looking for any type of responsibility. I felt bad...being nice, warm, and loving wasn't (isn't) my thing. Today is the lil girls 6th bday and I still think is that normal to not want to be the god mother???

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 7:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would'nt want to be a godmother either lol...that means I have to take care of that person's kids if they die....might sound mean but I don't need that extra responsibility or pressure...so I know exactly how you feel mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Godparents responsibility is typically helping build and continue the child's religious teachings, not necessarily taking in an orphan if the parents die. My kids have godparents who don't do anything whatsoever, but regardless of that if I were to die the kids would go to my mom, not them.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Cool I still dodnt even want that. I didn't want to take a kid somewhere, spend time with it, or anything like that. I use to have to wastch my mothers kids all the time growing up so to me a kid coming into the mix meant something bad. I had to give up my childhood because my mother had to many kids and no one else to depend on so I took the load. When my pal got prego it is represented to me "trouble". We wouldnt be able to hang and do the thing 22 year old should be doing. I was resentful of her for runing our friendship/messing up a good thing but have learned to let that go. I think if I was asked I would have felt better but I do understand because we were ebst friends she would automatically name me same time I had uneasy feelings about kids entering the friendship. Hope that makes sense.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• it use to be that the godparents were named the guardian but not any more. but if you do not feel like being a godparent then its not for you.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• yeah it's just not my thing. I still have mad love and respect for the girl...Just being "auntie" or god mother are not things I like.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• God parents aren't just honorary relatives in a childs life. It is not just a title! It means that is the person who will be raising the child if somthing happens to the parent/s. It is a great responsibility and should not be entered into lightly! A godparent should be in the Childs life constantly! Atleast weekly. They are charged with creating a solid relationship with the child so that if somthing bad were to happen, than the child would have a bond with thier new full time caretaker. This person should be close enough to the child to be trusted and loved by the child so that they can help the child through the grief and loss of thier parent/s. I think you have every right to and should decline if you are not happy and willing to do this for the kid.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2011