How much money do you spend on ONE six year old child for Christmas

I just went xmas shopping for my DD, she is six and only asked for a few things, I bought her everything she wanted (except three things, a hannah montana poster [couldnt find one] and some other things she had before but took outside and left them out there and they got ruined) plus a few things she didnt ask for but I know she would love, and I only spent about 165 dollars. I feel like I am being cheap, but I got her everything she wanted. Am I cheap? Do you buy your kids what they want {within reason} and how much do you normally spend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Holidays

• I don't think you are being cheap at all.What you spent is pretty reasonable. Most six year old I have known lose interest in toys within a couple of weeks. Then you are left with a bunch of toys that aren't played with and just clutter up her room. I'm not trying to bash, but I personally would not have replaced the stuff that was ruined. If she did it once then she may do it again, and you've wasted more money.

Also, did you try Wa-mart for a Hannah Montana poster? They usually have tons of them. Target is another good place to look, but if you still can't find one, Try online at Sites like Amazon.com.
    I hope this was a little helpful. Again, I really was not trying to bash.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Not at all. That amount is ample. :)

Answer by Bmat at 12:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Ummmm, hmmm. Well my oldest is 5 1/2 and I think I spent about $25 on him, $25 on my 4 1.2 year old, and $16 on my 2 year old. That's not including stocking stuffers from the Dollar Tree. Do you think I'M cheap? Christmas isn't all about getting gifts. I'm so glad my kids understand that!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think it all depends on your income level. Some families I know would love to be able to spend that much on their child(ren) but just cannot afford to, while others would spend that much on just one toy!! I think you should do what you are comfortable with.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 12:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I didn't spend as much as you did on my almost 6 year old daughter. I also "guided" family members to make sure they bought things she wants. I don't feel bad that I can't buy her a lot of stuff, it's just not in our budget. But by making sure that grandma and the aunts get her things she wants then I know that a lot of the things on her list are taken care of.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• As a financial councelor I advise families to spend only what they are able to save. So if you were able to save this amount without it causing financial strain to the rest of your budget, then thats perfect. BUT, if you had to charge this amount, or this is going to cause you to be unable to buy food, or pay a bill on time, then you have to decide which is most important and not worry what other parents are spending. Fortunately, I don't try to keep up with the Jones, b/c they are broke. LOL
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• continued...My husband and I have a middle-middle income and we spend $100 on each of our children, $50 on the one grandchild, $50 to each parent and $50 on each grandmother. We begin our savings in January and have the set amount by April of each year. You know, the day AFTER Christmas is just another day, but if we spent more than we could truly afford, the stress sets in and we have a negative feeling rather than happy memory for many many days after. The fun gets lost in the stress.
    lifeasinoit