What's a good spot? Vacation ideas . . .

My DH and I love to travel and have done quite a bit before our DS was born. We'd like to take a family vacation sometime next year when he'll be about 18-22 months old. I have no idea where to take him. We thought maybe to Florida to be around the water (we're in the midwest). We're just not sure. Any great ideas out there? I know it's hard to suggest things w/o knowing us. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Travel

• My hubby and I love Jekyll Island/St Simmons Island, GA. It's all the way on the east coast but it's very quite and laid back. I enjoy Gulf Shores, AL or Pensacola, FL also. You could go to Orlando, FL and go to Disney and Daytona Beach is only a 45min drive. Or you could go to Daytona and drive to Orlando one day.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I'd suggest a family-oriented beach. He can play in the sand and wade a bit. Most beach resorts also have activities for little ones- such as zoos, playgrounds, etc.

The beaches in Delaware, New Jersey, and Maryland are very nice. Bethany, Delaware. Ocean City, Maryland.

Answer by Bmat at 12:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• You may want to look into the Texas hill country. It's beautiful ~ especially in the spring. Lots of little towns with tons of local culture & the area between San Antonio & Austin has an abundance of family-friendly options.

Plenty of water around that area in the form of clear lakes, streams, & rivers.... and you're about a 3 hr drive from Galveston & everything the Houston area has to offer.

It's very relaxing. It can still be "touristy", depending on when you go... but still far less than FL (I'd imagine), and cheaper, too.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Longboat Key or Siesta Key.
    Anonymous

• I live in Florida and I agree the Keys are beautiful, especially Islamorada. Another pretty area is Ormond Beach, Fla., near Daytona Beach, then theres Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, nice! For many interesting things to do for FREE, Washington, D.C.
    Macysheryl

Answer by Macysheryl at 12:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I live in Tampa and my 18 month old loves Busch Gardens. There are plenty of animals to entertain him and the kiddie park is starting to become fun for him. There are plenty of beaches within a 30 minute drive. Orlando and all of its attractions are about an hour away.
    afdavis27

Answer by afdavis27 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i would suggest St. Pete's Beach in FL (by Tampa- closest airport) nice and family oriented with a huge range in pricing but it is getting cheaper and cheaper, really safe and clean!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Florida is great! I actually just went to Lookout Mountain GA. it was soooo cool. Google Ruby Falls or Rock City. They are two of the main attractions there.
    lisab7982

Answer by lisab7982 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• You want to stay in the U.S.? Have you ever been to California? There's lots of places to go and things to see here!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I love Myrtal Beach!!!!!!!!!! They have everything there. We go to Pawleys island for the privet beach. Theres "Hollywood on the beach" a hugh shopping mall with resturants. Just alot to do there. We took our son to Disney when he was 2 and he did not like it. He got tired of walking and was scared of eveything and hot. If he had been older maybe he would have liked it. It was just hot! I did not like Daytona, cars going by on the beach all the time, a girl got run over and killed.
    workgoat

Answer by workgoat at 11:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2008