is it possible to change your taste in food??

to turn yourself off from cheeseburgers and pizza and onto salad and fruit/veggies that you hate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes, I think so. I mean, I dont think you will ever stop liking the taste of those foods.. they are filled with MSG and other things designed to MAKE you like them... but I do think you can learn to prefer other foods. I have lost 30 pounds in the past 4 months and I did it slowly buy surely.. and I genuinely will take a salad or soup over a burger.. sometimes I still crave pizza or burgers.. but the trick for me is that I dont deny myself a treat every once and awhile.. and I dont look at those foods as anything more than "treats".
    There is research that suggests it takes 6 weeks to "train" your mind back to good foods. But the other thing is not to force yourself to eat things you "hate". If you hate certain fruits and veggies.. skip them and eat OTHER fruits and veggies. No reason to punish yourself!
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 12:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I did the lemonade diet for 10 days hoping it would cleanse the pallet and I could try foods that I didnt like and it did work I eat alot of foods now that I didnt eat then, salad, oatmeal, peppers, tomatos. Its hard to stick to, you dont eat for the whole ten days just the lemonade and salt water in the morning but I did lose 10 lbs. but 3 months later there back, lol, Dont do it for weight loss but it could help with the foods you would like to eat.
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 12:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• It definitely is:) It just takes a bit of displine. Eat healthy for a month and don't cheat-try to stay away from sugar and salt and make sure to drink lots of water. If you have time exercise, you don't have to do anything strenuous just walk. After doing this routine for a month or longer you will find yourself craving water and steamed vegtables, etc. I promise you this will work:)
    Anonymous

• YES. Give up dairy for a month and I guarantee it will not taste the same when you go back to it. I was addicted to tea and chocolate. (english tea mmm) but when I gave up dairy...and tried to drink tea/eat chocolate again a month later I didnt like it. I even felt a slight unsettling feeling in my tummy because of it. So yea you can.

Also...if you eat lots and lots of fruit daily..like I do..you REALLY miss it if you are short on it one day...
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I don't know, I am conviced you cant, but I am sure that's not true.

I have cut all junk food out of my life and I rely very much on Morning Star products, like Veggie Burgers, veggie bacon, even the veggie dogs.

I try to incorporate things like brown rice, salads, sushi, fish, fruits into my diet, even though I know I hate them.
    PhiLLy-StyLe

Answer by PhiLLy-StyLe at 3:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Yes i think it is possible. the key i think is in moderation or leaving it all together. If you make yourself to always eat healthy your taste buds will eventually change. You have to put in your part and the veggies and other foods will do theirs. learning how to cook them in delicious ways will help. I eat veggie burgers the morning star brand delicious. i can eat them plain or like a burger.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I dont know about the change the taste in food but you can change your choice of food , you may hate salads and fruit but you can choose to eat them , sacrifice is a must when someone wants to loose weight the way it takes to keep it off

if you don't buy the food that makes you fat you can't eat it and it won't make you fat or unhealthy,
    it's a choice of changing your life .... and only you can make it
    rachael596

Answer by rachael596 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yes, absolutely! When you get on a different program, your pallet and your system start to adjust after a few days. I really steered myself away from fast food a couple years ago. So now, on occasion I'll crave a good cheeseburger and I'll enjoy about half of it and then it starts to taste "greasy" to me, and after I'm done I feel like CRAP. Especially if I eat the fries. The same thing with decreasing your salt intake. If you cut back on the salt, you actually get used to it and then you can tell when foods are actually too salty.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 11:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2008