History and Religious Debate (and the old R&B section)

There's a question in ACM right now about the longest questions you've ever seen. I went to see if I could find one from not that long ago that went over 500 answers. Along the way I found a few others (and I did finally find the carnal caramel doozie). Reading through them, I have to wonder, and I mentioned this in the original ACM question.

The biggest problem that arises here in RD and in R&B seems to come from people who have never participated in Q&A before, or never in the religion sections, and have never been exposed to anyone who believes differently than they do. Or, they believe everyone who doesn't believe exactly like they do is the same as some mental negative stereotype they have. Would it accomplish more to just direct those people directly to these questions, let them read through the conversations that have already been had, and learn some of the history between all faiths here?

If you were to die today where do you think that you would go? heaven or hell

Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindis & Pagans who believe in god/goddesses, & those who believe in angels and faeries....

Seriously now.....come on....

Religiosity and Stockholm syndrome

The first 3 deteriorate after a few hundred responses, then float back on and off topic throughout as people logged off and came back the next day, the last one is shorter, but stays on track until the end.

There are different authors of each of those threads.  2 are Christian, one is atheistic satanist, one is atheist.  The participants cover every faith or non-faith that's ever been represented here. They range in age from 2 years ago to a few months ago. There is one common theme throughout them all - people of EVERY faith and non-faith agreeing, if not about doctrine and philosophy, about basic decency (actors in bathtubs aside).  Some names disappeared over time, others stay all the way through, but that unity is consistent.  (grab your marshmallows and sing Kumbaya)

My main question being - do we keep repeating that history simply because those unaware of it doom us to repeating it?  This is not an ACM question - it's about the content.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• have you noticed that "seriously now" ended on 666? I have to come back to this....got mommy duties. Interesting stuff...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I understand what you mean. I think the greatest problem we have in our religious sections is, like you said, new members. Christians can come in here, thinking that the usual evangelical tactics and arguments are going to work, and then when they get into debate they realize that it's so much deeper than that, and they weren't prepared for it. The intelligence in this group can be intimidating if one isn't prepared for it, and I can understand how many perceive threat or offense when regular members are just offering facts. It's almost like a culture shock, realizing that your beliefs aren't quite as perfectly convincing as you believed. That and there are so many different POV's here, I know it can overwhelm. And I do believe that some have a hard time understanding the dynamic of this group of women, or the way different members mean what they say.....

I don't know if directing them to old posts is the answer, though....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I'm the kind of person who would rather "deal with" each person individually, though, on a personal level, if you get what I mean.... Which I guess falls under the "repeating history" option, as unpopular as that probably is, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It's almost like a culture shock

I think that's a very apt description. And with that being the case, it seems to me it might help people acclimate to read through questions that are closed, and don't involve them emotionally, because they don't have the option to participate. (and this isn't some elitist anti-newbie thing, either - all the names in the 3 more recent questions that weren't in the oldest were newbies at some point who managed to figure it out just fine). But for those who don't, or for whatever reason can't, maybe that explains more than a dozen screaming matches and offshoot journals ever will.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• do we keep repeating that history simply because those unaware of it doom us to repeating it? Yes, I would say we do. I think that there are always going to be those newcomers who are both ignorant of differing beliefs and/or arrogant enough to make posts calling out those different beliefs in callous ways. I can only speak for myself and my own intentions, but it's nearly impossible for me to avoid answering those questions because I feel the need to correct misinformation and shut down attacks. I'm not sure if directing the newcomers to previous threads will help, especially since they can be difficult to follow once they've been closed, but maybe there could be some sort of "read before posting" thread? Hell, I don't know, but I'm less tolerant of newbie bad behavior than I used to be, that's for certain.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• they can be difficult to follow once they've been closed

Trick to that - I used it on these links - on a closed question, click the "Oldest" tab that's on top of the best answer (or the first answer if there is no best answer). Use that link, and it automatically puts it in posting order instead of voting order. If there's a best answer chosen, that will appear out of order, but all the rest will fall where they did originally.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Ah! I didn't know that! Thanks, that's helpful.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I had to laugh at the 666 comments on the question "Seriously now.....come on...."
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 8:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It does seem like we go round and round here- but I dunno if having them read those threads would accomplish much really. It can be annoying at times when they just don't seem to grasp that other people have other beleifs and that it's ok ...but honestly, I will admit, I like a bit of drama now and then- people never cease to amaze me!
    blame it on my oh so boring life ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Some people would never take the time to read those threads b/c they wish to cling to the stereotypes b/c it fits their ideas of people with differing beliefs.
    it's difficult to grasp and understand and ACCEPT people that break those stereotypes. And I think for some people, it makes them feel uneasy when they learn that things they have been spoonfed to believe about others is wrong. If THAT is wrong what else is wrong about other things they've been taught in terms of their beliefs?!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2011