Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

So my ex and his "wife" have decided to live the welfare lifestyle VENT!!!!

She has 6 kids, he has 1 with me who he sees once or twice a month. I put quotations around wife because they are not legally married, that's how they are doing it. They had a wedding but never filled out a marriage license. This way, she still gets the food stamps which my ex told me she gets over $1,000 a month, WIC for the youngest 2, free lunch and breakfast for the oldest 4 who are in school she gets free medical for all of them too and like half her rent is paid by the government. Plus, she gets child support from 4 different dads for her 6 kids! This amount of abuse of the system pisses me off but then my ex came to me and said that since they get all their food paid for and half their rent paid, he can afford to go part time at work so he will be going to court to get a reduction since he will be working less AND they are planning on having a baby so if that happens, the child support will get reduced again! At this point, he is only paying $420 a month and he makes over $3,000 a month!
P.S. I am NOT putting people down who are down on their luck and needing a little help, I am just upset because my ex's "wife" abusing the system is enabling him to go part time and then pay half the child support he was paying and have another baby and then pay even less!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (15)
  • Call CS and ask if he can get it reduced for that reason. Mine was reduced when he quit his job, he lied to CS saying he was downsized and he could only find min wage part time hours. CS reduced it to min wage full time hours, because they must figure his income on at least 40 hours. Plus if you tip CS off on this scam, maybe they won't accept whatever lies he tries to tell them later.

    Answer by camiam81 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • And what they're doing is fraud. He lives with her and she needs to report his income to at least some of these government agencies. She'd still get help, but not to the extent they are.

    Answer by camiam81 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • I called CSE and they said if he has to go to part time (which is boss is his friend and would be too happy to write a note saying that they had to move him to part time) he can get a reduction.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • With the food stamps, they just have to say either he isn't living there there is no way to prove he is, since he gets his mail at a friend's house and that is the address he uses for work, it's not legally his address and they are not legally married. The WIC she would get anyway because of the amount of people.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • If it were me I would tip off CS, the rental assistance agency that they are renting from, and DFACS. There are numbers that you can call to report fraud.

    Answer by missthang42001 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • I don't think so because they can't prove he is living there

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • I have seen firsthand people getting cut off because fraud was reported and the government performed an investigation. For example a family member of mine has 5 kids and moved her boyfriend in and he was using his mothers address. The rental assistance agency performed a home evaluation check (which legally they can do) and they found enough clothing that a male was in fact living there. The same day she was notified she was evicted. They then notified dfacs and her foodstamps and medicaid for her kids stopped also. Now she is begging friends and family for a place to stay and food. But guess what the guy she was living with has moved on with another woman. smh

    Answer by missthang42001 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • This is in Georgia though. I am not sure about other states and their laws.

    Answer by missthang42001 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • He keeps most of his stuff at the friend's house too, he even has a bedroom there and pays them like $100 a month to keep his stuff there so if they every looked into it, they wouldn't be able to say he lives there. In fact, he takes a bag back and fourth but he sleeps there every night and eats there and is always there (the friend lives a block away)

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

  • you might just want to go to the housing authority - most of the time they can only catch them in the house to prove they live there - if you can tell them when to catch him - they might be able to bust them... that is such bs!

    Answer by AmaliaD at 9:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.