Car seat question

Ok so most of you are gonna think im crazy but i wanna know YOUR reasoning besides that the law where you live states...........why do you keep a child past a year old in a rear facing seat? Why do you choice to keep your 5/6 year old in a 5 point harness seat? Why do you still have a 7 or 8 year old in a booster seat? Now this is not a parents who have kids who are on the smaller side, but an average 6,7,8 year old is a bit big to still be in a car seat to me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree with you entirely! In my state 8yos still have to be in a booster and I've seen 8yos that are bigger than many adults! I could understand if they had a hieght and weight guideline, because of safty data they had collected during crash tests.... But when you give an age you are not using any kind of data! You are jumping to a conclusion and making assumptions based on nothing! Oh the BS we face daily!!!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 8:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Well my DD is very small BUT the reason they have these laws is because that is what is needed to keep the child safe at those weights. I would follow it no matter what
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Okay, so my kids transitioned early, but they are tall.

Me . . I am 5'3" er . . .or WAS 5'3" until my pregnancies shrank an inch off lengthwise and added it to my gerth! LOL! Anyway, what I was going to say was that at 5'3", i don't fit in a regular seat very well, except if I am in the driver's seat that can be pumped up and the tether lowered at the shoulder. that tells me that standard seats don't even fit me very well . . . so I can't expect a kid to fit into the belt correctly, either, unless they are taller than I.

It all depends on the proportions of the person and where the belts are hitting as to safety.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I like the boosters for the older kids because it places the seat belt on their shoulders better. My three kids were out of the infant seat at 6 months and into the rear facing. I guess if I had to slam on the brakes the rear facing would slam their heads into the seat instead of forward out of the seat. Hope this helps xo
    tlvailco

Answer by tlvailco at 8:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• why do you keep a child past a year old in a rear facing seat? I didn't. They were more than happy to be turned around on their first birthday. They were THRILLED to have more legroom.

Why do you choice to keep your 5/6 year old in a 5 point harness seat? I didn't. At 3 years old they had both outgrown a seat with a 5-point harness.

Why do you still have a 7 or 8 year old in a booster seat? This one I DO do. And, it's because the seatbelt does not fit across their laps/shoulders properly.

My son is 7.5 and the size of most 10 year olds. My daughter is 4 and the size of most 5 year olds.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I don't know if this is true but my MIL told me the law was just changed so that children have to be in a booster seat up until 8 years old now! Maybe it's just in our state? I should look it up...
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 8:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My son is 8 and in a high back booster seat. he is still in the booster seat because the cars seat belt does not fit him properly without it. If we were in an accident and he was in just the seatbelt there is a much higher likelyhood he would be seriously injured. My daughter will soon be 5 and is still in a harnessed seat...she fits in a booster seat and we have taught her to ride in one for the rare occasion that she might have to ride in her dad's car where her carseat does not fit . The seat she has could potentially keep her harnessed well into grade school but I will switch her when I feel that she will sit still in the booster seat for long car rides. I did not rear face my kids after they were over 1 and 20lbs simply because I did not know any better at the time. Now that I know how much safer it is I would definitely go to at least 2 and 30lbs rear facing.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It's safer. Plain and simple. Why not do what's best for your child?

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It is much safer in an accident. My daughter is 4 and still harnessed. I plan on leaving her harnessed til she outgrows her seats. she is now about 42in and her careseats go to 48in. I did turn her around at a year but that is b/c I didnt do enough research the next baby will be rear faced longer b/c they have a lot less chance of being hurt in an accident.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011