Would you marry someone simply for insurance purposes

I asked my fiance is it wrong that I find myself second guessing our future union in October and his response was no everyone has done it @ one point, and even if you do decide that you don't want to go through with this wedding for love then you should atleast do it for insurance, so I just laughed and asked him do people honestly marry just for insurance purposes and his response was yes thats the only reason that his aunt is still married to her husband til this day. But who waits years to get married only to get married for insurance, that's a joke to me, I mean maybe I'm looking too far into it but doesn't that seem a little silly, what do you think

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• if i had alot of children and was really down and out and the guy was really cool, fair, and totally legit (even if i didn't love him)....i would do it for the kids. at the very least my husband would still be my friend and maybe i would grow to love him. but ANYTHING for my children.
    cornfed.23.16

Answer by cornfed.23.16 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• shruggingif i was gravely ill yes. but otherwise- no.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It's not right, but what's the difference between that and marrying for money? Divorce is messy, even when you have very little, I couldn't marry for any reason other than love.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I would have to be able to look at the guy every day! I can see people doing it. My husband married me cuz he loves me but I did get him insurance.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• NEVER! No one should ever get married for any other reason, other than that they deeply, truly, sincerely LOVE the person they are promised to love, honor and cherish until death do us part. If you doubt your deep love for him, or his sincere love for you, then in your mind, put the wedding on hold for two weeks. You do not need to discuss this with anyone. Give yourself two weeks to reflect on your decision, so you can see if you really mean it, or if you were just having last minute jitters. After two weeks, if you really cannot imagine yourself being married to this man for the next twenty - thirty - fifty years, then end it now. It hurts to call it off, but it will pass. And it is a LOT LESS Painful to call it off now, than after years of marriage and a couple of kids.

I have heard of people STAYING married because of insurance, but not GETTING married for that. His excuse sounds very insincere & suspicious to me.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 8:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• LOL...my LP and I have been together 14 years without really talking much about marriage except when we were going to have our 2nd and he worked somewhere where they wouldn't allow him to add a domestic partner to his insurance. We talked about getting married, but ended up just paying out of pocket for the costs.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Marriage is hard enough when you love the hell out of the other person, no way in hell would i get married for any other reason.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2011