My 7yo boy, when excited, has the highest pitched voice, please help!!!!

He has ADHD and SPD, he can talk normal. His voice is driving me insane, I'm afraid he will start loosing friends, his excited voice is heard through the whole neighborhood. If anyone has any advise,,, please,, I'll take it.

tlvailco

Asked by tlvailco at 8:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• It is very hard to train children to use a nice voice. My eldest child is 30, and she just has a loud voice. She's a lovely person, but I'm afraid her loud voice pushes people away. You can try these suggestions, though:
    1) get a recording of his "icky" voice, and one of his "nice" voice. Have him listen to both, and ask what he thinks. Maybe he doesn't hear a problem, but you can share with him that his "icky" voice is unpleasant, and you love his nice voice. When he gets excited, ask him to stop, take a deep breath and let it out, and then concentrate on using his nice voice to tell you. Promise him that you will take the time to listen to him. Maybe that will help.
    2) Tell him that you will not listen to him, or answer him, if he uses his "icky" voice. Tell him that you will give him a Chuck E. Cheese token every time he stops and switches to his nice voice. When he has a bunch of tokens, you'll take him out 4 Pizza.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 8:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011