What are some sayings or advice that your parents told you, that you have also passed on to your children?

some of mine are:
Killem with kindness
You have to kiss a lot of toads before you meet the handsome prince
Always take the high road
Always defend those that are being picked on or bullied.

maggiebgood

Asked by maggiebgood at 8:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• The only thing you cannot lose is your education.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My Great-grandmother had a funny expression my mom shared with me, but I haven't passed it along... "Never trust a man, no not even your brother, whose hair is one color and mustache another". Not sure what that was supposed to mean! But My great-grandma, then my mom, also taught us the familiar, "Evening Red, Morning Gray, Promises a Lovely Day", "Evening Gray, Morning Red, Brings the Rain Down On Your Head". My kids heard that a lot.

My mom didn't have a lot of sayings. She was a very humble, modest person.

I taught my kids this one, and now my daughter is teaching it to her daughter, "Nice kids have mean mommies."
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 8:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i love you up to the sky and down to the bottom of the ocean
    mrswII0908

Answer by mrswII0908 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• You will get in far less trouble (no matter what you did) if you tell the truth instead of lying.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Do as I say not as I do.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Treat others the way you wish they would treat you.

Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 8:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Oh my there are so many. Lets see,,,,,,,,

Friends will come and go but, the only ppl that will be there for you will be your family. ( I tell this to my kids all the time. My kids are 4 years apart. One is 21 the other soon to be 17) I tell them that they should love eachother and always stay close because the day that I am dying they will be the ones holding my hand and be there for eachother. Your present friends, the ones that you put before us, probably wont even be the picture and they will not understand your grief. Only your sibling will.

My mom used to tell me that a girls reputation and which kind of girl will get married is like a new car vs a used car. When a man finally decides to marry, he picks his wife like he would pick his first car. If he can afford to buy the new one with no miles and the new car smell, he will invest in that one over the used car driven by God only knows how many.

linus06

Answer by linus06 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• "God never gives us more than we can handle". "What Satan had intended for bad, God will turn to good". "All you truely have in this life is family, food and love." " If you can't say something nice keep quiet"
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• "I may not always like you, but i will always love you." my mom used to tell me that all the time when i would make her mad.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• "God gives special children to special people". At the time I rolled my eyes lol. I now see it all around me, with my friends who are parents of special needs children. It's true. And also "pretty is as pretty does". lol
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2011