What do you owe to your children? (S/O)

Do you think you owe it to your kids to teach them about Paganism, Atheism, Judaism, Buddhism, etc?

Why or why not?

Do you think other people owe it to their children to teach them about christianity?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I owe it to my kids to let them choose, and to help them in their spiritual journey.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 8:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I owe it to him to let him know there is no one answer, that many people have their own beliefs, and it's never his place to decide for anyone else. Also that it is not anyone else's place to tell him what he should believe, either. I owe it to him to raise him with the resources, widsom and inquisitiveness to seek out the answers on his own, in his own time, and accept his decision as his own, whatever it might be.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I don't know that I would say I "owe it" to my children, but I did teach them about my faith. I was raised protestant, but joined the Catholic Church after marriage. After years of study, prayer and growth, I can proudly say that I am a Roman Catholic. It is important to me, and therefore, naturally I would teach that to my children. Being able to swim is important to me, I taught my children that, too. My kids couldn't feel as much a part of the family if they did not learn our values and beliefs. I also taught them compassion and understanding, and a willingness to get along with others. True Christianity is about being an example to others. I'm not about preaching my faith to the uninterested. Only in living my faith. If someone comes to know God through me, wonderful! We all are parts of One Body. I just don't happen to be the mouth.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 8:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• rocking horsei don't owe to teach my kids about religion - because knowing about religion will not make them a better/worst member of society. i owe my kids morals, values, decent social skills "at least enough to get by in this life" and MOST of all a decent education. THESE are the things that are going to determine their quality of life and them becoming productive members of society, these are the ingredients that will help steer them in the right direction to live a happy life and be self sufficient. religion is just a side dish > who so ever wishes to participate go right ahead - nothing more nothing less.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Nope. When my children are old enough to research for themselves, they are welcome to research anything they like. They'll still go to mass every Sunday regardless of what their research takes them, but they can look into anything they like.
    I can't dictate what anyone else does in their home or teaches their children.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• No and no
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 8:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• No, and no. I choose to teach my kids about other faiths because it interests me also and I think we should have a solid understanding of others because with global communication technology we need to have basic understanding of cultures so we can communicate and work better with each other.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i owe it to my kids to be loving and supportive in whatever path they choose.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I owe it to my children to teach them the Love of Christ. However they are free to choose their path.... My children have been given a foundation and I believe they will return to Jesus in time. It is not my job to push them but to pray for their safety and to love them where they are at.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I don't think I owe it to them but if they ask I surely will answer and help them along the journey. Its just not something we discuss a lot in our house. We focus on finding our own paths, making our own goals and being responsible
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2011