More Quiverfull

if "God Himself maintains sole provenance over conception and birth" then why is "contraception in all its forms...entirely avoided, as is abortion?" Because if He maintains "SOLE provenance" then wouldn't that mean a baby will be born no matter what? no matter what was used or not used!?

I got this from this quote: "God Himself maintains sole provenance over conception and birth. The duty of the Quiverfull adherent is only to maintain an "open willingness" to joyfully receive and not thwart however many children God chooses to bestow. Contraception in all its forms is seen as inconsistent with this attitude and is thus entirely avoided, as is abortion."- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiverfull

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• im w/ you OP...especially since i was taking the pill perfectly but still got pregnant w/ my oldest.

what gets me is this...would not having sex w/ your DH every single night be a type of birth control? i mean these ppl arent stupid, they know how babies are made. so what would it take to knowingly not have sex while ovulating...unless of course the woman has no say on when they have sex.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• As far as having many, many children as a sign of Gods will- I think this: we have some what predictable cycles for a reason- to make choices in reproduction- we are not powerless over our own bodies-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• k
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I agree with soyousay, and this one of the main dividing points between my own practices and the Quiverfull ideas. While I personally refuse to use hormonal birth control based upon the way it works, I have no issue with natural family planning. In my opinion God made our cycles predictable for a reason...so we can have a hand in determining when is the best time to have children and how many.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Well, my quiver has 2 arrows--and that's full enough for me. lol
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Well, my religion doesn't forbid contraception, I myself are on the pill and ['m very observant. But just because G-d is in control, that doesn't mean we shouldn't do our part. Theoretically speaking G-d could bring a child to person who isn't sexually active, it doesn't mean that He does it (yeah, you can tell I'm not a Christian, LOL!). G-d made natural laws and works WITH them, not against them ,so if a person on birt hcontrol really needed to get pregnant because it's what G-d decreed, then He will probably do it with methods that seem less miraculous, like a ruptured condom, or an expired pill, I don't know, use your imagination.
    It's liek saying "well, G-d gives wealth so I may as well lay down and wait for it to come to me". It doesn't happen that way, we have to make our own effort.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2011