Have you requested that people NOT buy your kids a particular present?

My mother and sister have both called me to ask for suggestions on what to get my girls for Christmas. I told them anything is fine, but they can't buy them dolls that do anything. My best friend showed me a doll he bought his little girl that BREATHED. I was so freaked out. For my daughter's 2nd birthday my mom got her a doll that moved and I hate that thing. It's scared me numerous times.

Are there any toys you are asking people not to get your kids?

Silvertears1275

Asked by Silvertears1275 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Oh' yes... my girls didn't own baby dolls until they were two years old, and they didn't get barbie dolls till they were four, and none of my children have had any format of a gun until this last summer I did go out and get each child one small water gun. Everybody has their personal idea or rules with their child, and I think it's great your family is thoughtful enough to ask you :-)

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Everyone in my family knows I do not want my daughter to have one of those push things that pop! I don't know what they are called but when My little brother had one he used it just to get on my nerves And I know thats what my dd would use it for.
    Anonymous

• If people ask us ahead of time, we ask that they not buy ours Barbie or Bratz dolls. If they don't ask and just go ahead and buy them, we've taught our daughters to just say "thank you," then we donate them to the local Women/Children shelter, and allow the girls to pick out a toy of similar value that we buy for them.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I'm asking for basically no toys and no clothing. Just college fund money or a few age appropriate grow into type toys. The last thing my one year old needs is more toys she doesn't have time to play with.
    Anonymous

• We've asked for nothing Bratz related but I went and ended up buying a Bratz Laptop because it's the only real laptop I could find for my oldest. I justify the fact since it's only Bratz because of the logo...but I still feel guilty.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I tried to get my MIL to NOT buy all the rose petal Cottage stuff..BUT she did. I wrapped them up and they will stay under her bed til we move in Feb :).. Since our place is small i sat nothing big..But i really dont care.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• noisy stuff LOL if it takes batteries, I don't want it
    Anonymous

• Bratz and anything with super small parts. Other than that I dont care.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We never say not to get ______. We do however always ask that if you are purchasing a gift it be educational. Always. I don't feel bad for wanting my kid to have a fun toy that is actually educational compared to some dumb thing that she learns nothing from.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My kids will hopefully never get one of those VSmile games or anything like it. I don't think video games should be made for 3/4 yr olds, no matter if they're educational or not. IMO, it teaches them to sit on their butt rather than getting up and playing or going outside. I have already let our family and in-laws know how much I dislike those games, so if they get our kids one, it goes back to Wal-Mart the next day.
    Anonymous