Counselors

Are you a counselor or have a profession in psychology?

If so, are you a counselor at a school? Do you like your job? Paid well?

I'm just curious because I'm considering this profession since my only choice is online school and I have to postpone medical for the meantime and this is another interest of mine. It'd be the same sort of schedule as my child when he starts school years from now also.

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 8:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm not a counselor, but let me offer this suggestion for now. Go to Yahoo answers, and visit the relationships questions. You'll see hundreds of posts by confused young teens. Try offering them some advice. See how that interests you, or if it breaks your heart. I'm guessing that some of this would be like what you'd be doing as a school counselor, depending on the grades you worked with.

I've heard a lot of counselors burn out. I've also heard that psychologists have the highest suicide rate of any profession, yet priests have the lowest. I'm thinking that it helps to believe in a higher power than yourself, when you have to deal with human tragedy. Wish you well! And good luck with the online schooling! My daughter is doing that. She'll graduate after five more classes, with a degree in English Literature. She's made very good grades,and earned a Gold Key award.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I have worked as a counselor in an elementary. It defintely had it's challenges for me, but the school system is really quite lovely to work in.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It really depends. I am not a counselor myself, but I am a teacher and one of my long term friends has worked as the school counselor in my district for a few years now...she hates it. The actual work is so much different than what she thought she would be doing. She thought she would have a lot more one-on-one time with students who need special attention, but very little of her time is devoted to working directly with the kids.

Now, another one of my friends is a marriage counselor and has LOVED every minute of it. Her husband is a pastor and they will do "couple's retreats". Since she works for herself, she has as much free time as she would like, and is free to pursue her work in whatever direction it takes her...from work with her church only, to taking on couples that aren't with the church, to organizing retreats for other churches.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I have a BS in Psychology. I'm not really a counselor, but I do Crisis for the local health dept. as a second job. Basically when someone goes to the ER who is sucicidal I get called in (at all odd hours of the night) and evaluate them and try to get to them placed in a facility if they need it. I fill out all of the court paperwork and everything. Mon-Thrus if I am on call I'm on from 5p-8am (15 hrs) and on the weekends if I'm on I'm on 5pm Fri-8am Monday. I get paid just for being on call. So like this month I am getting paid for over 400 hours of being on call (2.65 an hour). I have been called in 5 times and actaully worked for Maybe 30 hours and I'm going to get like 900$. It's good money for the amount of the work I do. But being on call really sucks. I cringe when my phone goes off at 3am. And it really limits my activites. But it's not a bad job. I enjoy it for the omst part.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• This is not the type of degree that you can get from an online school. I know a school counselor, with bachelor's degree in teaching, and a masters degree in counseling. I know a couple of therapists with both bachelor's and master's in social work.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• this is exactly one of the degrees that are offered online because nothing is hands on work like medical
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2011