How do explain a termination

I was just fired from a job yesterday. I have an interview tomorrow at a new company. I worked for this company the last three years. I was fired because I forgot to clock out and told them I left about 30 minutes after, the security cameras show I actually I left at 15 after. I was told by HR that I stole time from the company. I was told by my supervisor he would give me a good reference. Tomorrow I am sure the question will come up why I left this job so quickly. How can I answer this without saying I was fired and stole 15 minutes from the company?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• say for personal reasons and that you care not to elaborate if your getting a letter of recomendation it should work out fine
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 9:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Personal reasons is a lie. You were terminated, saying you left for personal reasons is making it seem like you resigned and left willingly. If you old supervisor lies and says that he/she could be fired as well. It's best to be honest, if they find out later you "manipulated" the truth you'll just miss out on the opportunity. I would just say "I was terminated due to a time clock discrepancy that was not intentional, but it was a violation of policy unfortunately" and if they ask, you can elaborate.

mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 12:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think that I would be honest and just say that there was a discrepancy of 15 mins and they let you go based on that. However, this should not diminish your work performance at all and that even your previous can attest to this. Say it also taught you a valuable lesson on accountability to prevent future occurences.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 9:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• If they don't ask, I wouldn't say. If they do ask, personal reasons is a great explanation - especially since your old boss is willing to give you a good recommendation.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Downsized

Answer by rkoloms at 2:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Honestly, I wouldn't say anything, I would say that you worked until the present, and don't want your employer contacted.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2011