Why do you say Happy Holidays?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Because "Happy Holidays" encompasses the entire month of December. Christmas is not the only thing going on, and it's a nice broad statement for the MANY different things people could be celebrating.

Now, if I'm talking to my family I'll say "Merry Christmas" because I KNOW that's what we're all celebrating. I don't assume that EVERYONE is celebrating the same things I am.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• because not all people celebrate the holidays in the same why and i don't want to offend any one so happy holidays it is
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Because saying Happy Thanksgiving feels weird coming out of my mouth ....lol...It does : ) so I say Happy Holidays for Thanksgiving. I say Merry Christmas to most of my friends except a couple who are Jewish and I say Happy Holidays. Happy Holidays is all encompassing : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I don't, I say "Merry Christmas!"
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I don't say Happy Holidays... I say, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa... think that covers it.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• because I recognize that other people do not celebrate Christmas, they have other holidays this time of year.
    Anonymous

• Because there is more than one.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I am Unitarian Universalist so if you know anything about the UU's then you know we accept pretty much anything and respect all points of view. In my house we celebrate Christmas and Kuwanza. I also like to celebrate other holidays of other cultures and religions. While many "Christians" would not consider me a Christian - I do. So I teach my son the true meanin of Christmas but with the UU philosophy that Jesus was basically this really cool dude that spread love and peace and we celebrate his birth. Of course I'm not so flippant with my son in my explanation as I am on this post. But I do teach him the meaning of Christmas and what it means to so many people. But we are respectful to include what it means to us and how it applies to our family. So I say happy holidays to cover all the basics during the winter season.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Not all people celebrate Christmas =] There's Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Ramadan, etc. So Happy Holidays encompasses all of the holidays this month.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• .. I say, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa... think that covers it.

nope.

Saturnalia
    Solstice
    Yule
    Eid
    Festivus
    New Year's

I say happy holidays because it's inclusive and I don't assume everyone is christian.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2008