What's wrong with asking questions or expressing an interest in other religions?

"if you don't believe (in god) then why do you care?" is the most popular cop out i see around the RD section.

is it that hard to answer questions about your faith?

does someone asking questions threaten or offend you in some way?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• seems you are offended by this question, me just asking what's wrong with asking questions.

Which begs another question - why do people who feel nobody has any right or reason to ever ask a question open the questions in the first place? Just to complain about them?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Asking questions is fine. I don't mind answering questions and explaining my faith for people who are honestly curious. I get really sick of those question/comments though where *some* people act like they are going to trap you in your answers and make you out as the bad guy...no matter what you say.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it. People can ask me whatever they'd like. If I don't want to answer, I won't. Simple as that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think working to better understand the beliefs of others is important, even if one is secure in their own beliefs. Working towards a mutual understanding leads to respect, and while I understand that the idea of respecting and tolerating other beliefs is hard for some Christians who believe that other beliefs are wrong and need to be corrected, a mutual respect is important in order to peacefully exist alongside one another in this world.

I know it goes a lot deeper than that - there are more aspects of it, like deepening one's own faith by exploring all of the various understandings out there, but that was just one example, anyway....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• "Asking me why I believe is offensive."

I found that comment funny and confusing. I'm trying to figure out just HOW it would be offensive.

Anyway, to answer the question ... how are you supposed to learn and respect others if you don't ask questions.

Offensive? Really? I just can't seem to get passed that.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• No, it's not hard to answer questions about my faith. In fact--I welcome them. No, I'm not threatened or offended in the least. That said, we all know that there are those here that ask questions with a hidden agenda sometimes.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• good question. I am currently on a journey of religious/philosophical discovery, so I am interested in other religions, but I have noticed that many people are very defensive. I undestand if the question/person is rude, obviously reaching or trying to insult, then go ahead be rude! But if it is an innocent question, I don't understand why people can't just politely answer.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I get really sick of those question/comments though where *some* people act like they are going to trap you in your answers and make you out as the bad guy...no matter what you say.

I totally agree- and it does happen even when people feign innocence or try to wrap is as "just asking"
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• A typical question I get asked, being Roman Catholic, is Why do We Pray to Saints? Some people might state the question antagonistically, like, "Catholics are so stupid because they pray to saints. We (protestants) just pray to Jesus, and He answers all our prayers." The same question, but two different ways to ask. I'd ignore the second person, because they aren't looking for understanding. For the first question, I'd explain it like this: When you are hurting, do you ever ask your friends to pray for you? What about your church? Maybe your mom asked her prayer group to pray for you, too. Why? Shouldn't you be able to pray only to Jesus, without anyone else adding their prayers? Will Jesus actually hear your prayer better if a bunch of people pray for you? We are called to pray. We are taught that if we have the faith of a mustard seed (tiny) then we can move mountains. Catholics just ask more friends to pray 4 them.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Nothing. Everyone should explore beliefs beyond their own. Otherwise how do you truly know you are on the right path?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2011