If you aren't "religious"...

What inspires your moral code? / Where do you get your moral code from?

Disclaimer: I am in NO way claiming that you can't have a moral code. I actually want to know about other belief systems out there.

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i got my moral code partly from my parents when they raised me but most of all i got my moral code from the very core that makes me tick.
    have u ever seen a 2 year old do something wrong and when they notice you looking at them they have this very guilty look and hide their face ? they know nothing about religion- but they know it is wrong because it is in the very core that makes them tick.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I don't need a bible to tell me the difference between right and wrong. It is common sense to know that you don't do things that would harm others and that for us all to live peacefully we need to treat each other with respect. There were moral teachers way before Christianity came around. Buddha is a good example.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Morality is subjective.  The basic core of my morality is not to harm anyone or infringe on their rights.  That comes from the way I was raised combined with a social conscious and common sense.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• to paraphrase an old saying, i fear someone who needs religion to be a good person. i think you get out what you put in, in life, in society, in your career and in your family. so, if you're putting in ill will and mistrust, that is what you will get out. i want to be successful in all things in life and live it to the fullest so treat others the way i want them to treat me and it fulfills me deeply. essentially: the golden rule. it's a human universal.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 9:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think it's biological and evolved over time. Initially, we were able to think about our needs and how to satisfy them. As social animals, we started to realize that we can help each other to acquire what we need--that it's more efficient to work together. As social creatures, we looked out for our immediate families and that concern stretched out to our tribes (which were often extended family). We began to understand how our actions affect others, and how the ramifications can come back to affect ourselves. This sort of awareness isn't isolated to humans--it can be observed in other species as well, and they certainly don't worship any deities. I think what we consider morality is just an extension of that understanding that what we do has consequences, and we have the ability to empathize, making us keenly aware of the pain and suffering--as well as the joy--of others.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I'm not defending anything. I'm telling you where my moral code comes from...common sense. Wasn't that the question? You also asked about other belief systems...I gave you an example of one that has a great moral code but doesn't necessarily believe in a deity...Buddhism.. Sorry if you implied my tone differently...guess that is the problem with discussion boards.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Well, I am a believer, though I don't consider myself religious, and since my "moral code" doesn't stem from religion I thought I'd give this a go :

I believe morality is innate in each of us. I believe it is a product of our higher consciousness, our self awareness, our ability to be a higher species, if that makes sense. The very thing that makes us human also makes us humane and instills in us a sense of connection to the rest of humanity. We have an inner pull towards morality, and that inner pull is cultivated and conditioned through society. Religions have been founded upon those things that make us humane - love, compassion, etc - and have worked to cultivate and condition the innate moral and humane potential in us as well.

But basically it does boil down to being human, IMO.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I was raised in a military family on military bases and military values as passed down from my parents. As military we were exposed to many religious beliefs and cultures and worked together regardless maintaining the honor and integrity our military represents. That and a healthy dose of common sense and basic human kindness.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• luvschocolate, how do the first 4 commandments work for non-Christians?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I'll throw this in the mix.  I am religious, but not a religion that most people (outside here where people know me) have ever heard of - or if they have, they think it's something of comic books and HORRIBLE HORRIBLE movies (ok, I feel better now).

The nine noble virtues

And I mention them because contrarty to some belief, not all organized belief systems share a core set of values like be nice to people and do unto others.  We have hospitality, but it's not without a trade of equal value.  It's more complicated than being nice for nice's sake.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2011