If you're going to split up your child's 2 month vaccination shots which are the best ones?

I've heard that it's better to split them up into to or three so you can see how your child reacts to them and most pediatricians prefer to do it that way. Does anyone know what's the best combination?

b.inwonderland

Asked by b.inwonderland at 9:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I don't immunize at all, but doing tons and tons of research, I would wait on the hepatitis. Not only has it been linked to SIDS, but the only way to contract hepatitis is through blood or sex. Since your 2 month old is pretty unlikely to be having sex and she/he would have to have and open wound and be in someone else's blood, that is a pretty unlikely scenario also.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• The vaccine Book by Dr. Sears has a good alternative schedule.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• great thanks!
    b.inwonderland

Comment by b.inwonderland (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I was doing some research on Dr. Sears' book and I found a pretty interesting article that I think parents should read before going through with anything. Of course I'm a research nut and parents should do what they think is best for their children. Here it is:
    http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/dr-sears-vaccine-book-is-deconstructed-by-pediatrician/
    b.inwonderland

Comment by b.inwonderland (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Here's Dr. Sears' schedule:
    (Note: This comes directly from The Vaccine Book by Dr. Robert Sears. Someone please let me know if posting these schedules violates any copyright laws.)

Selective schedule:

2 months - DTaP, Rotavirus
    3 months - PC, Hib
    4 months - DTaP, Rotavirus
    5 months - PC, Hib
    6 months - DTaP, Rotavirus
    7 months - PC, Hib
    15 months - PC, Hib
    5 years - Tetanus booster
    10 years - Blood tests for measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, and hep A immunity. Consider vaccinating if not immune. Also consider a 3-dose polio series if travel to Africa or Asia is a possibility.
    11 years - HPV (3 doses, girls only)
    12 years - Hep B (3 doses)

Alternative schedule (if you want child to be fully immunized but spread things out a little):

2 months - DTaP, Rotavirus
    3 months - PC, Hib
    4 months - DTaP, Rotavirus
    5 months - PC, Hib
    6 months - DTaP, Ro
    b.inwonderland

Comment by b.inwonderland (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Have you researched the ingredients in the immunizations? Are you aware that if your doctor insists on all of them at once even if you feel that it shouldn't be done and you go ahead and do it that you are unable to sue the doctor if something happens to your child? There's a government agency called VEARS that pays out claims and makes it illegal to sue anyone but the government. I find it very interesting. I think parents really need to look at the pros and cons for themselves, not just the little sheet they give you at the doctor and make the decision they feel is best for them. But after my sister almost died from the MMR, I almost died from asthma that I got from the same shot (after having measles as a child and having to get it at 15), and numbness I now have in my fingers from the hepatitis series I took when I worked in the medical field, I think twice now. Check out www.thinktwice.org for more info.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I already spoke to my son's pediatrician and he said we can do the vaccinations however I want and they even provide vaccinations without appointments on certain days a week so we can go whenever to have whichever ones done. I've done a lot of research, and am continuing to do research. I want my son to be safe.
    If he had insisted on doing them all together, my son would have a new doctor. His pediatrician is the same one that my mother and my husband's mother used for all their children and my aunt uses for her daughter and he has always been top notch and he really wants to work with us.
    I do have my concerns about the MMR especially now that they quit making the separate shots. I am for sure going to wait til he's at least 3 to get that done unless an outbreak (however unlikely) hits and then he will be vaccinated immediately.
    b.inwonderland

Comment by b.inwonderland (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Just so you're aware, you dont have to do them all, or any of them for that matter.

DS has been vaxed for DTaP and PC. We did them one at a time.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I know, I've been doing so much research, but I was fully vaccinated all at the same time and so were my three siblings and we're all fine, my niece was too. I was just looking for suggestions as to splitting them up.
    We're going to give him the MMR vaccine when he turns 3 and by itself, unless there is an outbreak and then he will be vaccinated immediately.
    but as for everything else, I think I'm going to follow the schedule Dr. Sears' proposed for now. except for the flu shots with the H1N1 strain, they gave that to my sister and she was sick as a dog, so we're going to try and find one without it, which is what they gave me when I was pregnant with my SL.
    b.inwonderland

Comment by b.inwonderland (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• mine always been done at same time
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 6:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2011