• In the Spotlight:

What kind of value do you place on Education?

How do you view your educational experience and does it effect your role in your child's education?
Do you think your current level of education has helped you/your spouse achieve the level of success, career fulfillment that you/your spouse currently have?
Do you wish you would have finished__________? (high school, college, etc)
How do you view your child's teachers?
If homeschooling, how do you encourage your child to learn from other adults in a socialized setting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Also, how do you think Education effects the way American's are viewed by other countries?
    Looking at some of the TOP countries for Education, what do you think the US can do better.

BESIDES removing No Child Left Behind, how would you make education BETTER?
    Anonymous

• I like this question. Very thoughtful and also room for personal reflection. Growing up I personally did not have a "good" educational experience. I was literally abused by several teachers (1st grade, 4th, and 5th). I had a learning disorder and ADHD. I also have a higher than average I.Q. so I compensated. I was often called lazy, sloppy, and even stupid. I won't go into details but I always did feel quite stupid and not as smart as other friends/students. I was a good kid I just was clueless sometimes due to my learning differences. I learned in college I had a learning difference and that my I.Q. (for whatever that is worth) is pretty high. So I am very senstive and protective of my son's education experience.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• cont..I was trained as a professional social worker and therapist. That does influence the way I parent as well as advocating for my child's educational and health needs. I spent some time working in the schools providing counseling to students and have my own opinions of how educational services are delivered in this country. Good or bad everyone has their own personal opinion on that. I do believe in our public school system, as many problems as it has, it does serve a valuable purpose in our nation. All children deserve an opportunity to recieve a free and appropriate education. The changes I would make are many. Too many for a post like this. But I would start by helping with nutrition, food, access to good health care, domestic violence, sexual violence...ect. All those have an impact on how a child can learn.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• cont..Off the top of my head I would change school to be an interdicsiplinary setting. Teachers right now are expected to be doctors, therapists, lawyers, judges....so many things. I saw that parents truly did look for guidance from their childrens' teachers. Which is great but not so good when your child's teacher makes a diagnosis of ADHD or derpression or bi-polar (you get the point) and they don't have a lisence to diagnose. That is a personal beef I have. Or say for sure that your child does not have those things or does not have a learning disabillity. Again, not their area. But we expect that they know these things. I am a firm believer in having multiple disciplines (types of professionals) available and free access for parents to coordinate the best educational experience their child could have. I think it would save money in long run and a lot of time and frustration.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• cont..I also think I personally may place too much emphasis on my child's education. That is just me. I have to learn to watch what I say. Not every single person was meant to get a higher education beyond high school. It would be nice but realistically only 17% of the population at any given time has completed four years of college. There are so many other learning experiences that are in addition or in place of college that are equally valuable. I am in the process of applying for my Ph.d program and will be accepted. I often take classes that apply toward that and continue my professional knowledge in my field. I hope I am a good role model without placing pressure on my son that he MUST be academically successful if he is going to any kind of real success. That just isn't fair or true. We can measure success by more than just that.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I value it for its own sake, not just a means of financial gain.

My own educational experience was lacking, which is why I homeschool my kid(s).

I think my spouse's smarts got him where he is, his degree only opened the door.

I have a favorable view of my child's teacher : ).

My son does take classes for homeschoolers with other kids. Our home is also a "socialized setting" as are the many other places outside it which contribute to our HS curriculum.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think education (or lack thereof) of course impacts upon how we are seen by the rest of the world. Unfortunately, we're not the only ones slipping, I've seen some appalling things about the state of education in the UK lately, too.

I don't think that in it's current incarnation that NCLB DOES help anything. It's underfunded and poorly managed. If a teacher advances a kid in her class who was behind when he entered that class, she should not be punished because he fails to completely erase that defict. Kids are still being moved ahead in grade and even graduated without basic literacy and numeracy.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• One change I'd make would be to teach history by the Classical education model: the entire span, the entire world, chronologically, over three four year blocks of increasing complexity. I would like to see foreign languages offered earlier, when kids are more suited to learning them. I'd like grammar and spelling to be addressed in EVERYTHING, not just specifically in those classes (my understanding is that presently those errors are ignored in other papers.)
    autodidact

• I hold education at the highest value. No one can ever take it away from you.

My kids will be going to college, like it or not. I will not accept anything less than good academic behavior in school and into college.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 3:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• 1. Education is a lifelong pursuit. I hold high values in myself and my family to continuously learn, explore, and ask questions.
    2. I had a wonderful learning experience. I am a product of inner city public schools till high school, where my dad was transferred to a rural town and I received a small town Midwest public school education. I think, even though the diversity exposed me to more than just the fundamentals of education, (both negative and positive) it is that diversity that encourages me to strive to be a better person, parent, citizen. I believe in public schools, and I also believe in working with my kids to expand their knowledge at home beyond the schools curriculum.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2008