How to curb masturbation....?

My child is constantly masturbating throughout the day; would rather do it than play. I'm torn between telling her to stop (because it is excessive) and possibly putting some sort of complex on her, and just letting her do it all the time and be sequestered in her room. Anyone experienced this before? How did you discourage masturbation without creating issues?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had a "wanker", but we are pretty open with dialogue in our house. We would pretty much tell her "you can't wank yourself all day...find something else to do", and she would. You are in a bit of a hard place, because there won't be any convincing her that it doesn't feel good and its not fun...but you definitely can't let her be her whole life.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• She may be bored... engage her in other activities to keep her mind off it, and keep her busy doing other things. But, when she has down time just tell her to do that in private, in her own room.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I was never touched inapppropriately and I touched myself around first grade so it may be a red flag but not always something sinister. I would just keep telling her that that is only for her, and she shouldn't show anyone etc, and ask what she'd rather be doing....and go do that!
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 10:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• as to where she's seen it/heard about it etc <<<--- or if she heard or saw it from an outside source??
    It's pretty interactive, most kids just do it b/c it feels good in this age bracket (5-8) , they don't even get what it means to us.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Some kids just do that, its not a red flag. In my option. A friend of mine, her dd did this every night at bedtime. Some kids just discover that this feels good.
    My only concern would be to teacher her that she needs to in her room & alone. That its not acceptable behavior at school, etc.
    I would try to keep busy doing other things but if she quits doing other things she enjoys to go to her room - then id ask her doctor.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• How old is your daughter?
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• She is literally with me 24/7 so I know nothing has happened to her, nor has she been exposed to anything pornographic (as that is not allowed in our house). I have told her that it is something to do in her own room and nobody is supposed to know about it except for her and I. I can definitely see it being a constant thing for her because she's bored. I'll try to keep her busy with different things than our usual everyday routine.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• She'll be 5 in July.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• *** instinctive*** I meant instinctive!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Excessive masturbation may indicated a vaginal infection or in many cases it indicates molestation. I know you believe you are with her 24/7 but there may be some times you are not aware of. My daughter was molested at her preschool by a male co-owner of the place.I would take her to the pediatrician and let him make sure she doesn't have a yeast infection or something like that.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 10:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2011