How can i train my 5yr old to poop in the pot?

Its been a battle with him not to go to the bathroom. He seems to hold his bowels and has frequent accidents. Can someone help me out?

SEXYMOMA70

Asked by SEXYMOMA70 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ummmm. I have no idea. my son was totally potty trained before his third birthday. If a 5 year old doesn't poop in the pot, where does he do it?
    Kawanis

Answer by Kawanis at 1:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my almost 5 year did same thing, he just refused to go in the toilet. the only thing that worked for me was his grandma talking and explaining to him not to be afraid to go in the toilet. he still sometimes has accidents but is getting better, your son will realize he has to go in toilet, hell be okay. he should learn. have you asked your pediatrition? they may be able to help.
    Anonymous

• try asking him to clean it up. That cured my daughters (yes both) of peeing on the floors.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 10:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Sounds anal retentive. Maybe the seat is too big and scary, try getting him an insert that fits him better. Then, give him a book, or music or whatever helps him relax. Make the bathroom a comfortable place for him to be.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2008