Okay, terribly stupid question that I guess I should know the answer to but, I do not. Bleeding after giving birth. TMI adult content

Okay, I saw a post earlier about what pads to use for the bleeding. Umm... how long do you bleed? Why do you bleed? Is it painful like a period? Any thing else I need to know about this?? I am 38 weeks and no one has talked to me about this!!!!

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 10:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I bled for about a month after my first kiddo! You bleed because you are shedding the rest of the uterine wall and ect. It isn't really painful but you will be sore from the birth. :) The pads that worked for me were extra long ones :) But I had someone suggest using depends (at least while in the hospital)... :) Hope this helps
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 10:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I bled for almost 6 weeks after. really heavy with large clots at first then it slows to like a period. I used heavy flow pads with wings while I was still having the clots but after a while i just switched to tampons cuz i hate pads. Everyone is different. I think they say you will bleed for up to 6 weeks. I had a c-section too so that might make a difference-not sure
    april666

Answer by april666 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Normally you will bleed for about 3 weeks or so after giving birth. I have no idead why you bleed but you do. Anyone who gives birth vaginally will bleed afterwards. It doenst hurt at all when you bleed, now after you give birth your stomach will be pretty crampy for about 3-5 days because the uterus is shrinking back to the size it was before you got pregnant.
    The next OB appt you have bring these questions up to your doctor.
    Congrats on your little one, i take it this is your first baby???
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• it is about like a period but it is a bit hever it is the leftover stuff from the baby and you bleed like a 1/2 week to like 6 weeks
    sweetyhotmama

Answer by sweetyhotmama at 10:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Oh by the way NO TAMPONS after having the baby...thats a BIG no no, can cause infection. Pads ONLY !
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• how long deffers with every person for my first i bleed for 8 weeks but she also ripped me too. u r holding 9 months worth of a period inside thats y u bleed. yes just like a period. yes u can use tampons for this or have sex till after you heal. but i would go to your doc at your next vist an ask her all these questions she can answer then better. congrats an youll be ok this is my second delivery. oh an my hospital has some not sure if all do but sence u r going to be extra sore down their after passing baby my hospital has icepack pads that i love omg they help so much if your hospital has them i would use them. an if u need stiches or anything they work great. good luck hope u have an easy delivery.
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 10:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Lol! I didn't know either after my first. I stood up out of the bed to go pee and the nurse tried to stop me. Just then I realized I had blood everywhere. It was terribly embarassing for me. I bled with my first for 5 and a half weeks and bled for 6 weeks with my 2nd. For me though just as I stopped bleeding a week later my period showed up :( super depressing.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• With my first baby I bled for about 8 weeks the other 3 babies were about 3 weeks. You really do have to take it easy, with my first I had a lot of stress and tried to do way too much.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I bleed for 2 weeks after both my kids However I had a c section & most of the after stuff was suctioned out...
    Nicole_Anne

Answer by Nicole_Anne at 10:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• 1st baby, I bled for 6 weeks. 2nd baby I only bled for 3 1/2 weeks. Its heavy like a period, but no cramps. You have to wear pads too, which is the worst part.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011