My four year old is REGRESSING! How do I get him to start pooping in the potty again?!

He's started pooping in his underwear again! It all started a few months ago when he slept walked to the bathroom one morning and the flushing of the toilet woke him up and scared him. Since then, he's been pooping in his underwear. I ask him why he's doing it and he just says "because i didn't go to the potty." I just don't know what to do anymore! I'm totally at wit's end and I am sick of washing poopy underwear! I made it through potty training and now, apparently I have to try and figure out how to do it again. Please help me!!!! Thanks in advance!

hesourboy

Asked by hesourboy at 1:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 4 year old went through a brief phase like that. I think it was stress about something going on in the family.

Anyway, I had him help "clean" out his underwear - not fun. Also (sounds mean, I know) but I would give him a cool (not cold) shower afterward. He only did it maybe 3 times.
    Abqmomof2

Answer by Abqmomof2 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I completely agree with the other answer! These are the two best things you can do to turn him around - make him clean it out and shower him in cool water instead of a nice and easy cleanup. He won't like either and it will be enough to encourage him to get back to the potty he knows he belongs on.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2008