Did anyone else have problems nursing after bottle feeding?

My little one is having troubles nursing after a day of being bottle fed. Any tips??

b.inwonderland

Asked by b.inwonderland at 10:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe he or she is having some nipple confusion. I have heard of it, but never personally experienced what you descrbied. If anything, it was the opposite. When I returned to work after both kids, they much prefer nursing but will eventually take a bottle if they are extremely hungry. What I find helpful is when the baby is with me, I nurse, even there's a bottle ready. Dad/grandma/daycare use the bottle. It seems to have a clearer delineation for the baby, which worked for us. If the baby prefers bottle, just go with it. You can always pump. Don't stress over it. Good luck.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Hang in there and just keep offering the breast, mine hated the bottle so I am no help there.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It is NOT uncommon to have a little difficulty getting the baby to accept the breast after having a bottle. Milk comes much faster from the bottle. Also, after a day of not breast-feeding, your milk production will be a little down. The best thing to do is keep nursing, and do NOT give another bottle. Get some rest, relax (tension makes your milk even harder to let down). Drink plenty of tea or other liquids. IF after two days, the baby is still not nursing properly, and is very fussy, like he is hungry, then contact the La Leche League in your area for more assistance.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I thought it was just nipple confusion because he does it the night and the next morning after being bottle fed, but I always nurse him if I'm here. I'm pumping at least 3-4 times a day to keep the supply up and nursing him at the same time. I just don't want him to do it every time I go to work 4 days a week or when he stays with a sitter.
    b.inwonderland

Comment by b.inwonderland (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Be sure that whatever bottles he takes have the slowest flow nipples you can find - it will make him work harder and help keep him from getting used to the faster flow. Another option would be for the caregiver to give him breastmilk from a sippy cup with the valve removed. They just have to be careful to give little sips, not big gulps!
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I was reading about the cups made specially for infant feeding that are shot glass sized and you squeeze the top to make a funnel type spout to give to them but I would worry that they were getting too much too fast. Does anybody know anything about those?
    b.inwonderland

Comment by b.inwonderland (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• If you use a "cup" to feed your baby, the baby actually laps the milk, much like a cat. You don't actually pour the milk into baby's mouth.

This is the way that the nurses fed my son while we were in the hospital for one week after his birth.

Really, anything will work to feed your baby, even a teaspoon or a syringe....
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• most of the time he nurses fine, but I just don't want him being confused all the time lol
    Thanks for all the replies and the cup information :)
    b.inwonderland

Comment by b.inwonderland (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2011