Ways to make space in a small living space, especially bedroom.

I need help! What are ways I can make use of space? Thanks.

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Do you rent or own? There are hundreds of options - even entire magazine subscriptions all on organizing and storage. In my bedroom, I plan to install closet organizers. Then I can fit stuff in there better and make better use of space. I have under the bed boxes. I have a painted hope chest, where I store extra blankets. I've seen people stack wicker baskets, and stuff storage things in them. Then lay a doily or cloth over the top, and decorate it will books or a candle. If your bed is too low to the ground, can you have someone make a lift for it, or stack a brick under each of the legs to make it higher? Or buy a bed that has drawers under it? Visit an IKEA store - they have thousands of ideas for packing a lot in a small space. Inside the store, they even have entire "houses" set up, using their storage ideas. One house was only 550 sq ft, but enough space for a family of four. I was impressed! I love cube storage bins
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• 1. Get rid of what you can. Move what you can to another room.
    2. ORGANIZE! You will be able to store stuff you use alot in EZ to get places. and store stuff used less often up on shelves/back of closet..
    3. Make the most of a closet! I keep plastic walmart drawers in the bottom of my closet (its cheap. u could get something nicer). it uses up all that extra space that usually appears between your clothes & the floor. So not only do I have 3 drawers,but another shelf that easily I can throw extra blankets on/store shoes.
    4. Under your bed is alot of real-estate. To keep it organized I use cheap plastic storage bins that are about 1ft. deep but about 4ft long.. If its possible having a higher bed helps (instead of one of the low to the floor beds)
    Dresser drawers are not only for clothes! In my dd room i keep all her dvds in her top drawer. So if u cut back on night clothes & combine tops/bottoms u can get 1-2 more drawers!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Put storage under the bed, make use of elevation ( stack things)....

MrsLLove

Answer by MrsLLove at 10:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Thanks for all the advice. I will be planning a trip to Ikea.
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I agree on trying to find storage in out of sight places and just minimizing as much as possible. It can be fun to do that though, our first house was 785 sq ft and I had to get creative. :) Good luck!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Ikea is the best. We have 3 girls sharing a 12x9 room with room to play. They have bunk beds and a "junior" bed from ikea. We have storage under the beds (and will eventually get a trundle for girl #3 for more space). We have shelving units from Target for books. Dressers are these metal frames with fabric drawers my dad got at Bed, Bath & Beyond (for the older 2 girls) and a plastic drawer set (for the youngest). If they can't fit their clothes in that space then they have to get rid of some of it because there's plenty of room for enough clothes to last awhile. Those are all in their closet leaving the rest of the space for toys. If we weren't renting we'd put shelves up. And we got rid of a ton of toys, only keeping what they really play with. They have a huge doll house, then 2 bins (in the shelving units) with Barbies and their clothes and everything else is in the bin under the bed.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Down size!
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 1:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Declutter and get rid of things you don't really use/need. Pretty stackable baskets are good. Hooks on closet doors for belts, ties, scarves, etc. Over the door shoe holder are good for more than shoes, they can hold socks, gloves, hats, toys, toiletries, lots of stuff.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I agree with PP
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• declutter, use under the bed storage, shelves
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011