Male cats

I have a male cat, he is fixed and one year old.

I am looking at another male cat, he is fixed and two years old.

Both are Siamese.

Will they use the litterbox together or piss everywhere?!?!

Trying to decide if I can get two males or if I need to go with a female.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Pets

• It will depend on the individual cats. Some cats get along, some don't. There's no way to tell ahead of time. If you bring home the new one, give him his own litter box in a room with a door. Let him hang out there for a few days. They will be able to smell each other at the door, will likely do some 'talking' and growling, etc. Supervise them when you open that door and allow the new one out and keep a squirt bottle handy, but unless they actually hurt each other, let them settle things between them. Add the new litter box someplace where it's convenient for you and the new cat. GL!

My cats are used to new ones coming in (male, female, kittens, adults) and I rarely have any problems. Mine are all rescues ... you just have to let them be cats.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Go with at least 2 litter boxes in the beginning no matter if you go male or female. I personally alternate sexes with my pets. My oldest cat if female so the second one was male.
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Even if they're fix they might not pee but still spray just to mark their territory. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I would go with both males
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Both neutered males will be fine. Of course, you always have the exception where they just may never like eachother. I would replace both boxes (box AND litter, both) when you bring the new guy home, so your first isn't offended by the new guy's smell. I would place the boxes a couple feet from eachother, at least. Once you are satisfied they're getting along, you can put the boxes next to eachother if you need to. Good luck!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Well, I have two litter boxes now with just the one cat. But I didn't know if the new cat would use them since the other male has already. I don't want him to pee everywhere. And I don't want my already owned cat to pee everywhere because there's a new male. But I was thinking that won't happen because they are fixed... Idk
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I'd call a vet tech and get their opinion. Anyone who answers the phone at any vet office should have some sound advice.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My cat rarely leaves my room. The exception is when he wanders out to go to the bathroom, eat, or just to find me. Otherwise, he hates my kids and hides on my comfy bed. All his toys are in my room for that reason.

With the new cat, he loves kids. So I am thinking his area will be the entire upstairs, minus my room. I'm not too worried about them getting along because I assume they will be in separate areas.

The new cat currently lives with three other cats, but she didn't say if they were males or not and I didn't think to ask, until now. Mostly worried about my cat's attitude about sharing his litter boxes. He is very proper.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Sometimes my females don't get along but they still use the litter boxes. I don't think the litter boxes will be an issue.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• We had 2 male cats for years and they were fine. They shared a litter box. They were best friends and we never had any issues with them.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2011