Husband works third shift...

It never bothered me until i got pregnant. Now i stay up most the night waiting. I hate it. Any idea how to go back to normal?

sugamama3

Asked by sugamama3 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• Do you know why your up like that? Are you nervous that he isnt home? Dont like being alone? your bored? worried about him? If you find out why your dealing with it differently now you will probably have more chance of trying to change it.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• What hours are you talking? Our 3rd shift is midnight to 8 am. I guess the best if possible right now to try and adapt to the same schedule he has. If this is you 1st pregnancy that could work until the baby arrives and dictates your schedule. :-).
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I like the suggestion of getting on his schedule. Be up when he's at work. Be with him when he gets home, and sleep with him when he sleeps. If you don't have an outside job, this is fine. It has the added benefit that when the LO arrives, you might be able to get the baby on Dad's schedule, so daddy can still get some sleep. Babies often seem to have their "nights and days" mixed up, in that they want to sleep all day and fuss all night anyway!

Otherwise, if you need to get back to normal, then you are dealing with a temporary sleep disturbance issue.This is caused by stress, diet, medication, or hormones. Stress- learn more about your pregnancy. Meet other pregnant moms. Write down what you're worried about and discuss it with someone. Diet - no caffeine at all while pregnant. No snacking after dinner. Eat right, exercise during the day - walk 2 miles min. Medication - see your doctor. Hormones will shift in time.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• No its not my first. This is my 4th. And our 3rd shift is from 9pm to 7am. I wish i could adapt to his schedule but then I'd get no sleep.
    sugamama3

Comment by sugamama3 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My DH is on third right now too. Only he does swing shift so its a rotating shif every 2 weeks. Were only on week one of third shift. I usualy manage to stay up later when he is on third. Good Luck, it sucks dealing with kids while dhs are trying to sleep, have you tried a warm tea? I know it sounds gross to some people but a chamomile tea would probably do the trick.
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 9:51 AM on Jul. 1, 2011