My child's doctors have mentioned a home healthcare nurse for my child when he gets out of the hospital. Should ths bother me?

My son has Hydrocephalus & Broncho-Pulmonary Dysplasia. He's in the hospital right now. Doctors have mentioned having a home healthcare nurse come help out some days. I'm torn between knowing it could be helpful & worrying over letting someone come to our house & care for our baby. I've had to watch others do things that I feel like I should be doing for months now. I've talked to one person I know who has a nurse come help out with one of her children. She has hesitant at first too but has said that it's been a great help since she's gotten used to it. I thought I'd post on here & see if anyone has had a similar situation.

sarenaerin

Asked by sarenaerin at 10:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont think you should feel bad about it at all, they are there to support you, well all need help sometimes and the Dr probably feels this would be a great help for you. If you find you do not like the particular nurse you get thats different you always have the right to change nurses, I would look at it as a positive and feel blessed to have a hand.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• When you first go home, take whatever help they offer! Things that you have been watching others do for months now will become much more stressful when YOU are the one responsible for them, no matter how competent at it you might be. It can be very overwhelming. You can always cancel the nurse at a later time once you're more settled.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i had a nurse come out to my home like 2 a week or so for my 3 year old son when he was a baby waighing him it was to bad they show you thing
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Thanks! This seems to be the answer everyone votes for...I just have to get used to the concept...He's been home before & it was a lot of work, especially since he has medicines, oxygen & a feeding pump.
    sarenaerin

Comment by sarenaerin (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• The nurse is there to keep an eye on your baby. Watch their progress. Make sure they're developing properly and all of that. It's so you don't have to drag them into the doctor so often. My 3rd daughter was born very ill and she had home health care visits for 2 years so we could make sure she wasn't having any issues after her rough start.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• After my first was born she was hospitalized for infant apnea for weeks at a time. Once she was released for the final time a home healthcare nurse came out twice a weeks to check her vital and tried to help me in anyway she could (I was horribly sleep deprived because I was too afraid to sleep) after I got used to her coming over it was nice to know I did have help. You could give it a try for a while and decide from there whether you need the extra help.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I am a Nicu nurse- this nurse will be a god send. She can give you some time to shower, clean or care for your other children. Your child will have many needs when s/he comes home. You will be grateful for the second set of eyes and additional hands-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• He's an only child so there aren't others to watch, but my husband and I both have health problems of our own. I didn't mention this at first because I wanted answers based on baby's best interests without myself & my husband being an influence on the situation. I have a stubborn, independent streak, but I need to reign it in for my son's sake.
    sarenaerin

Comment by sarenaerin (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Don't feel bad about it. I'm a home health aide and I know that I really want to be there to help the parent/s. I also know how difficult it can be to have someone else in your home,helping to take care of your child. Like Sisteract said, You will be grateful for the second set of eyes and additional hands.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My Mom does that type of work. She worked with a lot of different types of needs but all were young. The biggest thing I felt like she did was she talked with the parents and made sure not to be stepping on toes. But at night, when you need to sleep, a nurse can help out, ya know? I know almost all the families she works with still keep in touch with her. You do get to know your nurse and if they are good, they become your friend. You never have to settle on who they send out. Mom had one Mother tell her she went through 10 nurses in a month because she was not comfortable. Its your baby and you have the final say. Be sure to except though, when you need it. You have to breathe and shower :) having a nurse to take some of the load off will be helpful. You can do as much as you want and still have the nurse there.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 11:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2011