Is Christianity REALLY Monotheistic?

If you ask a Christian they will tell you they are Monotheistic. But does that really mesh with the teachings of their faith? The bible speaks of many other Gods, many by name even. Sure, it says that YHWH is the "God of Gods" and makes other statements which say he's the "Supreme God" or really the only one who counts. But none the less others are in fact mentioned. So, if YHWH is the "supreme God" or the "God of Gods" and all these other Gods are in fact mentioned in the Bible - the very book with is the basis of most Christian beliefs - doesn't it then only make sense that those who are following the Bible's teachings would also believe that there are multiple Gods - even if they don't believe they are valid? And in turn that would make Christians Polytheistic rather than Mono...

Now, I'm not in any way saying that should change their beliefs or alter how they see God. It's simply an observation...

But what are your thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Because someone worships another god or gods in no way means that that god actually exists.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I've never really thought of it like that before, so I'm pondering it still, lol. Interesting question, though. Here's a bump!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

But if the bible is the word of God, and the word of God is infallible, doesn't the bible saying they exist mean, unless you are suddenly discrediting the bible, they have to exist? How can you be commanded not to place any other gods before him if there are no other gods to place? Wouldn't it make more sense to say there are no other gods?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

But the Bible never says they don't exist. It simply says they aren't valid. In fact in calling YHWH the "God of Gods" it's admitting that other gods DO exist. How could he be the God of Gods if there are no other Gods to be God of?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Where do you claim the Bible talks about other gods? Can you list the chapter and verse? I believe you are mistaken in your interpretation. God tells us that He is the ONLY god, not that he is the God of Gods. He calls the others "false" gods. When the Old Testament was written, some peoples worshiped cats! The Israelites created a golden calf to worship in the wilderness after leaving Egypt. The Egyptians worshiped a Bull, and the Hebrews were mistakenly trying to give form to the God who led them out of slavery. The calf was destroyed, not because there was a god that was shaped like a calf, but because God is the One True God, and they were to have no other Gods.

The commandment, "I am your God and you are to have no other gods before me", the first "God" is capitalized, because He is the true god. the second one is not, as they are false gods. When we treat money as more important than God, then we worship money.

LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 11:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Technically speaking, is monotheism the belief that only one god exists, or only worshipping one god? If the latter, it doesn't really matter whether existence is admitted or not. But I'm not clear on the technicalities.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Sure, here's a partial list -

Anammelech - II Kings 17:31
    Ashima - II Kings 17:30
    Ashtoreth - I Kings 11:05
    Baal - I Kings 18:19
    Baalim - I Kings 18:18
    Bel - Isiah 46:01
    Chemosh - I Kings 11:07
    Dagon - I Samuel 05:02

And the list goes on from there...

Also, he it DOES say "God of Gods" -
    Deuteronomy 10:17 reads: For the lord your God is God of Gods, and Lord of Lords.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• is monotheism the belief that only one god exists, or only worshipping one god?

It is the BELIEF that only one God Exists...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• And now I have the Hallelujah Chorus stuck in my head...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Sorry about that NP! I hate songs in my head!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2011