What activities can I do with my 6 year old. She broke her arm we are only on day one and already she is soooo bored.

She fell on her arm yesterday and we didn't take her in right away cause she wasn't screaming like it was broke so we thought she just sprained it, took her to the ER today and it was in fact broke intwo spots on her forarm so they put a cast on it and she can't do to much of anything that will cause her to lose balance or anything. We have no video cames at home and no bored games since her and her 3 year old sister is always loosing the pieces. But I am looking for things I can possibly do with her until she gets better so she isn't so bored? I feel bad she was at the dinner table today and looked so sad cause she couldn't do anything. The neigbor did give me this game to borrow that hooks up to the tv she can play, but after a while she is going to get bored with that. What are somethings I can do with her? It has to be something easy for me as well since I am almost 35 weeks pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Reading, movies, soaking in a kiddy pool (just wrap the cast up well so it doesn't get wet) games on pbs.org, or other kid sites. Kids are pretty resilliant. She will be able to do a lot more than she can today, probably by next week.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My 8 year old broke her arm in February after a fall from a horse. She had surgery on it a few days later. The next day she was riding her bike and the next week was on the trampoline. Those casts keep the arm pretty secured, so there isn't too much she can't do. And if you go online, even ebay, they sell special covers to keep them from getting wet. At our feed store they have wraps in different colors for your animals, we bought a couple different colors and changed the color a couple of times. They were only a little over $2 each. They are hard to reuse unless you get them off right though. They can wrap right around the cast without ruining the cast.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My 5 year old broke her arm, we didn't really have to change anything up. Once the cast was on she was back to her usual self. She rode her bike, played on the swings, chased her cousins, climbs trees!, and everything else she usually did. The only difference was keeping her away from wrestling with her older, boy, cousins. Then they took the cast off even though her arm wasn't fully healed, which I've heard is common, and the only thing we don't let her do is play on the slip n' slide.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 12:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• if you want indoor activities get a heap of bits and piieces together and let her do craft projects, painting, blowing bubbles, maybe beads if she is crafty n artsy ..... build a tent over the clothes line or table and let her turn it into a secret den but its true, i broke my arm at the same age and i still jumped on the trampoline rode my bike etc....
    vickiw89

Answer by vickiw89 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• try giving her some of your old dresses and let her play dress up. Or you could try doing some crafts with glue and glitter. verbal games are fun too, and you can play with her while you are doing you regular daily routine (cleaning, cooking ect) like i spy or im thinking of a color or im going on a picnic ( its an alphabet memory game if you are interested i will elaborate for you). Candle making is fun too
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 4:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I'm an artist and avid crafter. I've even had a part time job teaching kids crafts at the local craft store for years! I suggest you start there. They have tons of kids crafts! You can even get them in boxed sets with directions! You can do yarn pot holders, make sun catchers, shrinky dinks(yes they still have those! Lol), sand sculpture, embroidery, painting, wood crafts(she could decorate her own jewelery box), crochet(the crochet needles are great blunt objects to scratch inside the cast too!), paper dolls, decorate T-shirts, make bead jewelery, etc, etc....
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 8:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• the cast she has is waterproof so there isn't any need to wrap it. She can take baths and swim the only thing she has to do when she is done is fill the cast with clear water to clean the inside of it out.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

I am not aloud to let her do any activities that she will or can fall doing. And the cast is waterproof so they said she is aloud to get it wet
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Ms.Gwen

The sand making part probably wouldn't be a good idea since they said not to allow her to get and or dirt inside of the cast. Also the crochet hook itching they said not to stick anything inside of it because they found there was a lot of infections caused by doing that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Ahh, summer cast. No fun. :(

Why not take her to the store and let her pick out some games. keep small pieces in a ziploc back to help keep it all more organized. Can she read? Pick up some new books. Does she like to craft? Blank paper and some art supplies would be great. Chalk for the outside? What toys does she usually play with? Can you pick up a couple of new things that are inexpensive? My DD (also 6) loves Little Pet Shops and will spend hours with them, for example. A few new animals would keep her busy for ages. Let her create her own games - you can even play things like Mother May I and red light green light. Just make it a rule that she can't run. She can, however, take "baby steps", she can spinning ballerina steps, etc.

what would she normally do in the summer?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2011