Nail Biting..... Need Some Serious Advice!

My son is a little over 2 and a half and he constantly chews his nails. The poor thing chews them all the way down to the nubs, then he cries that they hurt. I am constantly watching him and tell him not to chew. I feel like I have tried everything. I have even tried that nasty no nail biting stuff that you paint on their fingers. How do I get him to stop?

MomOfAven

Asked by MomOfAven at 1:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you tried the stuff you get at walmart, you paint it on, it has chili pepper in it so that when he chews, it tastes bad.
    Anonymous

• Yeah we have tried that.
    MomOfAven

Answer by MomOfAven at 1:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Not sure there is much you can do. I bite my nails for the longest time. I don't recall what finally made me stop, but it wasn't until high school. My hubby still bites his nails. Both of us would do it until it hurt and keep doing it! and the nasty taste stuff doesn't help either.
    Anonymous

• thats a nasty habit to break, i didnt stop till 5 years ago, and i still catch myself biting sometimes. i didnt bite them till they were nubs but my stepmom does.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Have you tried soaking his hands in lemon juice?

I bit my nails until a few months ago, and I'm 26. It's a HARD habit to break!
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Seriously? He'll even chew them with like, cayenne pepper under his nails? Wow.

You could try... well... taping his fingertips with cloth medical tape, but you wouldn't want him to swallow that... hmm... putting gloves on him?
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 5:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I used to pick my nails. This worked for me, but it might be cruel for a two year old..... (then again that nail stuff isnt much better)
    Anyway......I used to wear an elastic rubberband around my wrist. Anytime I had the erge to pick, Id snap it. I had welts!
    Ofcourse, I woundnt do it that hard on a two year old, but it might work about the same as slappin his hand.

TheLostMuppet

Answer by TheLostMuppet at 7:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2008