Whats the best way to dry out your breastmilk?

my just turned 11 month old still wants to nurse every 3 to 4 hrs,and i produce quite a bit of milk,but i am planning on stopping when he hits the 1 yr mark,whats some good ideas on how to help dry out my milk

babymamma123

Asked by babymamma123 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know it is your personal choice to stop at a year, but why not continue? I had to bottle feed my last two (boobs too big, seriously), and I bottle fed past to give as much extra vitamins as possible.

I was told that if you feed less and start swapping in what they are to be switched to... skip a feeding here and there... and slowly dry your breasts out it is best (by doctor)... but to each their own
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• And when I say skip a feeding... replace it with what they'll be weaned to
    MommaClark3

• Shortly after birth I was given what they called a "binder" to wrap tightly around my breasts. The nurses said that the tightness slows down and stops the production of milk.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Start supplementing with a bottle or a cup of juice every other nursing. Your breasts will feel full and tight at first. Watch that they don't get hot to touch or feel painful, which would be a sign of milk fever. But as your child nurses less, you produce less. The less your child nurses, the less you produce. Eventually, your child will prefer the cup over the breast when he is hungry, because it comes out much faster. He will only want to nurse when he needs the physical comfort. For that, you will have to decide if you'd rather offer him a pacifier, a bottle, or let him just learn to deal with it.
    While you are trying to "dry up", make sure you drink plenty of water. Don't think, cut back on fluids and you'll produce less. Your production is directly related to how much your child nurses. If you need more milk, nurse more. If you need less, nurse less.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 11:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Until he's a year, replace one nursing session per week with formula. After 12 mos, you can just drop one session per week, without having to replace it with anything. Know that you don't HAVE to wean at a year, but if that's what you WANT to do, its fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Don't bind your breasts. It can cause plugged ducts, and that can lead to mastitis. Wear a supportive, well fitting bra. Nothing too tight.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2011