How much does your children nap?? How can I get my child to actually take a nap?

My child will get tired, but refuse to nap if i'm not holding him. I don't mind doing this, but sometimes I have to go to the bathroom, or eat, etc. He will sometimes nap by himself, but onlt if I have nursed him to sleep and layed there untill he was in deep sleep. But he'll wake up after an hour, even though he still looks tired and falls asleep after I feed him. I refuse to let him "cry it out" and he is quite the attached child. I am an AP mom who really needs to eat and wash clothes...and take a nice long shower. Anyone have any advice?
(I know every child is different, but I was trying to maybe guess a median time.)

odinsmom19

Asked by odinsmom19 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my child naps from 1-3 hrs a day. i used to faihtfully put her to bed around 12 but then it got later when i started watching other kids. she would sleep up to 3 hrs when put to bed at noon. so even if she doesn't seem tired i put her down cause i know she is. she might cry for a bit but she falls asleep.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My daughter sleeps from about 8:30-6:30 through the night. Then at about 9 am, she takes a 2 hour nap. Then around 3 she sleeps about an hour and a half, then about 6 she sleeps about half an hour. She is ten months now, but has been on this routine for a while now. She has a hard time sleeping. She has her brother's old bean bag and she lays in that while one of us sits next to her and rests a hand on her until she falls asleep.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My 8 month boy takes 2 or 3 1/2 hour to 1 hour naps per day!
    I am also an attachment parenting and my lil guy DOES NOT fall asleep on his own. i am often at the computer with him on my lap and he does fall asleep watching me type (one handed!) So then I put him in his crib. Or if I know he's tired and fighting it (usually the case) I will lie down with him and sing and rock him in my arms until he's out and then in the crib and get as much work done as I can! Sometimes when I'm very busy, I give him some pbskids time when I know he's tired, and he zonks out pretty quickly! When he is awake he doesn't mind playing in his crib, or in his high chair with toys in front of him, so I get stuff done then too! Good luck! Maybe asking the SO to have a little Daddy time so you can get stuff done???
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 2:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Another thing that has worked well with me is one of those baby carriers, (the jeep brand is only $30 in comparison to the $100 baby bjorn!) and I carry hime around with me when I do errands like laundry, or grocery shop. He really enjoys it!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 2:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2008