Online Speech Therapist Programs

Are there any mommies on here who are speech therapists? I have a question about online degree programs. My DH uncle says he's attending an online university for speech pathologist assistant. I guess I'm wondering how is this possible, if he never has to do clinicals and work with patients during this program? How is this possibly legititimate?

jalvarez626

Asked by jalvarez626 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have never heard of a speech therapist getting their degree online. Like you said, you can't do clinicals on an online person. There are many online colleges that offer the stupid programs saying that they can get their degree online and when you really think, its like how. Take medical assisting for example, I have seen "colleges" offering this online. Sorry ,if I had a medical assistant who got their degree online, I will ask for a different one.
    mjgreeley

Answer by mjgreeley at 12:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I may have to look into that. I am not against online courses at all. Anything hands on is done hands on, such as culinary. You can only take a few courses online. Like laws and such. There's more to every degree than just clinicals. Lots of paperwork, reading. Heck, I hate sitting in a classroom while they teach it at a level of the slowest student. I learn faster and got aggravated waiting for them to continue so online is awesome for that.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 10:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• With most medically related programs (doctor, nurse, therapist, lactation consultant) you need both a degree/course work and a certification. He'll only get the certification he needs to practice after he does an 'internship' and has experience working with patients. Most schools provide both so you graduate with a marketable degree. I was looking at becoming a teacher and what I found was that the on-line schools offered the classes but not the student teaching and certification needed to get a job.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2011