What exactly is trolling?

I see posts about it all the time but not quite sure what it means.

BitsMom00

Asked by BitsMom00 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in About CafeMom

• What Is A Troll?

The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

http://www.russiablog.org/DontFeedtheTrolls.jpg

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Someone who post or starts problems on purpose. Like example someone posed all formula feeding moms are horrible parents or one of my favs is you shouldnt be a parent if you wont have religion in your home. Someone told me I should have my kids taken away since I was an Atheist.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Putting up outrageous or stupid questions to get a rise out of people.

Ex: I had unprotected sex, could I pregnant?
    Ex: I left my child in the car for a few minutes to go tanning, was that bad?
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory[citation needed], extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted". While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, mass media uses troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[4][5]

From wikipedia
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Thx good info always wondered what that was.
    Blakesgirl31

Answer by Blakesgirl31 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2011