Upper GI in infants.

My 3 month old is having an upper GI done tomorrow to check for reflux. He is also having an ultrasound done to check for Pyloric Stenosis. I know how the ultrasound works and I know it doesn't take much time. What about the Upper GI? What can I expect and how long does this generally take? Will he be put under sedation?

lucomommy

Asked by lucomommy at 12:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Normally they will drink something and then have xrays done to see where it is going. Here is a link that can describe it better,
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/medical/xray_upper_gi.html
    mjgreeley

Answer by mjgreeley at 12:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My daughter had horrible acid reflux. The ultrasoun will take about 20-30 min. You will likely have to hold them in a particular position, it could take longer if they squirm around alot. My dd didnt have a upper GI, but my grandma did, and yes she had to be sedated. GL mama
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 12:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My daughter has had 3 upper gi's done in the past couples of months. They never sedated her, they had her drink some dye and watched her on a live x-ray machine.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 1:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2011